Post Thanks / Like
    I had originally bought a tank mounted propane heater but that takes up too much space in my tight garage. So I`m thinking a wall mount infrared heater.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend one?

Thanks

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at Groit`s garage...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did see the ones that Griot`s had, but there stuff tends to be overpriced (IMO). I was wondering if anyone had experience with the more generic ones that seem similar to theirs but are much less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got an electric IR heater. It works "OK" if you were just standing in one place and not moving so it can heat you. Apart from that, it isn`t of much value.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your garage is insulated. What works for me, is ceramic electric heaters, cheap. Past years just had 2 going on low, 3 now, and it kept garage above freezing. Maybe 3-4C on coldest days. The floor is about freezing though, by garage door.

I also have a propane IF heater that i use to warm up when needed. It is wall mountable, so they say. Mine is 18000 BTU, might have bought bigger off ebay, but it really is only used for limited times to get the garage to working temp. of 15C.

Remember I am in Canada and it can get cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16
    I had originally bought a tank mounted propane heater but that takes up too much space in my tight garage. So I`m thinking a wall mount infrared heater.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend one?

Thanks

What kind are you considering?

I had one of the electric ones (still have it around somewhere..) in my old shop, and like Tom P said, it`s not all that great.

I currently have four Enerco ones mounted on my shop walls. Hard wired/plumbed, run off natural gas. Very satisfied with those, don`t even bother turning on the regular HVAC system`s heating very often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by salty

I also have a propane IF heater that i use to warm up when needed.

I`ve got one of those too - - it`s an old-timer. Works well if you are standing right in front of it. Problem is, when I`m working in the garage I`m generally moving around and not parked in just one place. The IR heaters heat objects, they don`t heat the air.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the wall mount gas. Hooked into the gas line that heats the house, off the main meter.

Have a fan pointed to the ceiling, on low, circulates the air that rises and warms things up quicker, and much cheaper around here than electricity to operate.

Also have a good electric portable with controls, but only use it on occassion as our electric rates just keep going up, gas has stayed the same for 3 years.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    I`ve got one of those too - - it`s an old-timer. Works well if you are standing right in front of it. Problem is, when I`m working in the garage I`m generally moving around and not parked in just one place. The IR heaters heat objects, they don`t heat the air.

Yes IR heats objects, but the one I have has a ceramic plate, so they call it IR, but it really is just a ceramic burning plate. It heats well, by feeling the heat rising above the unit. Yes it is faced at the vehicle which helps, with the IR, glowing plate.

What I said in above post, works well for me.

MR HEATER has ceiling mount NG or propane units that will heat most garages for under $500.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to have an IR heater myself, but it doesn`t typically stay that cold that long to really justify buying one here. For now I was thinkling of getting a top mounted propane heater, for something cheap an effective. Are heaters like this any good for a standard sized attached garage?

Mr. Heater Tank-Top Propane Heater — Double Burner, 30,000 BTU, Model# SRC30T | Propane | Northern Tool + Equipment

Thread Information