Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on doing some improvements on the new garage, and one of them I am considering is insulating the garage door. The current door is a little bit older model before insulated doors were the usual standard. I used a laser thermometer and the metal door from the inside of the garage was reading about the same temperature as outside, so its definitely allowing the cold air through.

I was looking at Home Depot and came across these DIY garage door insualtion pannels

Garage Door Insulation Kit-500824 at The Home Depot

To do a 2 car garage, looks like I will need two of these kits. So I`ll have around $120 tied up in this if I go this route. Has anyone used a similar type of insulation on their garage doors on here? I was wondering if these will make a noticeable improvement before getting them

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed one of those Home Depot kits. Last night it was about 25 degrees out. I put an IR thermometer on the outside of the door and it was around 27. I did the same on the inside of the door and it was around 39. So for the price it isnt bad. Make sure the edges of your door are sealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the same steel door sort of thing.

I went to the local lumber yard and bought some 5/8th inch white strofoam cheap panels, white.

Measured, cut (easy to cut with any knife, etc), fit them so they would insert into the channels of each panel.

Some liquid nail adhesive on the steel, put them in and they have been there for the third winter.

Cost, maybe $20 tops.

Plus the white foam aids in the light of the shop.

Grumpy
    Likes LeMarque liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased bulk foam panels and cut them to size myself. It made a huge difference in cooling/ heating and noise reduction! Do it!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a wood door and screwed foam on it. Also did whatever else could be done to make it better. Works well enough up here in cold Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I kicked this idea around a little, but was concerned about any added weight to the door. I know foam insulation is not that heavy, but after time, will the added weight (regardless of how slight) take it`s toll on the opener?
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the white styro foam, it`s like air. On my single door, doubt that it added 1 lb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    I kicked this idea around a little, but was concerned about any added weight to the door. I know foam insulation is not that heavy, but after time, will the added weight (regardless of how slight) take it`s toll on the opener?
    as in eletric garage opener? Not at all.. the whole door is made from steel and aluminum. 5-10 extra pounds probally isn`t even enough of a varience from what some doors weigh anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... I might oughta consider that insulation for the overhead doors that are "actually part of the house". Just wish I could do something for the steel roll-up doors on the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The foam weighs nothing, as stated. Me having a wooded door helps a great deal. Steel is cold.

Didn`t help that it is -40 F or C (wind chill) the last couple days, and my dad tried to back through it yesterday. Damage was not that bad, but I`ve never felt my heart drop that bad or a door bend that much and still be half assed usable. $1000`s dollars of chemical was in danger and an extractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokeman
    I installed one of those Home Depot kits. Last night it was about 25 degrees out. I put an IR thermometer on the outside of the door and it was around 27. I did the same on the inside of the door and it was around 39. So for the price it isnt bad. Make sure the edges of your door are sealed.
    The insualtion pannels in the kit seem kind of bulky from what I have seen. Did you notice that it added much entra weight to where you had to adjust the tension on the door opener?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Got the same steel door sort of thing.

I went to the local lumber yard and bought some 5/8th inch white strofoam cheap panels, white.

Measured, cut (easy to cut with any knife, etc), fit them so they would insert into the channels of each panel.

Some liquid nail adhesive on the steel, put them in and they have been there for the third winter.

Cost, maybe $20 tops.

Plus the white foam aids in the light of the shop.

Grumpy
    Now that is a good idea. Do you happen to know what the R rating is on the foam you used? If it is as effective as the insualtion kit, this sounds like a cheaper and better solution

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, have no idea of the R rating.

All I know is that they insulate quite well, used my infared thermometer to measure without one day, was 15F outside, inside of door was 16F.

After I put up the foam, was 20F outside, inside of door was within 5 degrees of interior temp, which at the time was 61F.

All I know is that is works, it`s inexpensive and a good friend who is a home builder thinks I am now a genius.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineIRL
    The insualtion pannels in the kit seem kind of bulky from what I have seen. Did you notice that it added much entra weight to where you had to adjust the tension on the door opener?

Nope, it doesnt weigh all that much. For 50 bucks you really cant beat it. It actually looks pretty good too on the back of the door. My original plan was to use insulpink foam but it would have cost me about 80 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone, I will be getting some of the foam insulation to try out. I think it will look better than the standard pink insuation used in the kits anyways, plus at a fraction of the cost

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey!! can anybody please help me!! I am making a new garage in my home so can any one help me as a guide to tell which things are specially essential to have a good garage??? one of my friend suggested me to use a garage door opener!! But i am little stressed to buy any thing costly, so can any one please suggest me some good products??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information