Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Door Insulation

This is a genius idea and even though i live in the south can still be useful ! I am so glad i found this forum !

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a 2-door garage with both doors Insulated from the factory and they were the best thing you could ever do to a garage door.
    Much quieter, and the garage is much warmer and cooler when appropriate..
    Make sure you get the rubber long gaskets that go between the door Edges and block out all the space that is sometimes there..
    Then, you will have a really nice room/s and not just a cold, drafty, garage..
    Im thinking the denser the foam the better..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I used r11 unfaced fiberglass batting. At the suggestion of a garage door guy I had him upgrade the door springs to whatever the next stronger size was. They were $60 each installed and needed two of them. The opener is 1/3hp. The springs make up for the heavier weight so there is no added stress on the opener.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I sell Liftmaster openers and Clopay doors for a living. If you ever have any questions don`t hesitate to ask.

If you are building a new garage I would do at least steel back insulated doors. They are more expensive, but are a higher quality door. Don`t do glass, it`s never insulated and have to pay a hefty add-on for insulated glass. I have glass and about to replace the glass sections with regular sections because I rather have the insulation. I would also do belt drives if you have any living space above the garage. The belt drives with steel back doors are super quiet. I have two bedrooms above my garage and you never know when they open or close.

Now when it comes to adding insulation to your non-insulated doors. Be careful adding too much weight to some of your doors. Especially insulation that aren`t made specifically for garage doors. It can mess with the spring rates. There are about a million different springs for all the doors available. Every door has specific springs based on their weight and adding weight can throw off the spring or even cause the spring to wear out sooner and possibly break.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes Stokdgs, RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBzPTGT View Post
    I used r11 unfaced fiberglass batting. At the suggestion of a garage door guy I had him upgrade the door springs to whatever the next stronger size was. They were $60 each installed and needed two of them. The opener is 1/3hp. The springs make up for the heavier weight so there is no added stress on the opener.
    Good job Garage Door Insulation. At least you did it the correct way. We have had contractors and owners add wood to the front of their doors and wonder why their doors don`t operate correctly.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished up insulating my doors with foam boards from Lowe`s. Definitely noticed a difference in heat loss and the doors are much more quiet. Well worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently had both my garage doors replaced...did a upgrade to Clopay double insulated. ....wow...what a major difference. ..I can actually go in the garage at night and not freeze. ..incredible difference. .
    Wendell Jarvis
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond, KY.
    859-248-2835
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I sell Liftmaster openers and Clopay doors for a living. If you ever have any questions don`t hesitate to ask.
    My father did for years too, on Long Island, NY
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information