Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    After much thought, I put together a plan for my garage; taking into account cost, practicality, aesthetics, and personal preference. After getting some input from you guys, here is what I came up with. I am almost done, just have to hang two more cabinets, and put in some floor molding, hang three more lights and I will be all done.

I decided to go with Black and Decker Cabinets from Lowes. The color was what I was looking for and all in all, the construction of them is very nice for the price. The only recommendation that I have is if you are going to get these, I re-inforced the wall cabinets on the sides where the mounting board (particle board) goes. They only have it wooden doweled in, so I added some 1-1/2" deck screws to hold the mounting board in better. Other than that, everything went together like a breeze.

As for the flooring, I decided to go with the Swisstrax. Their customer service was awesome! The tiles are even more awesome. They are easy to keep clean with a mop (as you will see in the pics, the edges are a little darker because I just finished cleaning them and they were not totally dry). Easy to sweep, easy to clean (I even use our Hoover Floormate on them), non-skid (even when wet). It took a total of about 3 hours (with cutting around the edges, step, etc) to totally complete the floor. As the temps rose, the tile expanded and had to be trimmed again along the edges (which Swisstrax said is necessary). Now that everything is trimmed, there is no buckling. I have two floor drains in the garage, so I took the drain covers off, used them as a template and drilled the same number of holes in the tile that covers the drains. The holes were then countersunk a little so the watter will run into them easier.

The rails that you see on the side walls are the Gladiator geartrack system. It is a very nice system, and love it so much, I actually bought more to hang in my shed for garden tools. Things can get moved around with ease and without putting a ton of homes in your walls.

I painted the top white and took the two colore tiles to lowes and they put it in a machine to match the paint. The grey was dead on, but the silver was off a little, but there was nothing more that they could have done to match the silver better because it is more of a shiny type of surface. I tried the silver for the stripe, matching the height of the backsplashes of the base cabinets so it looks like one continuous line and then the bottom got dark grey to hide any scuffs and keep it looking cleaner longer.

Here is a before pic:

Here are some after pics (again about 98% done:

Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Strrets Looks completely different! Great work. I love it.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice!

Three years ago I was in a similar boat except I was designing a garage around a house. I know you guys more than anybody in "real life" understand and appreciate it when I say building that garage was a dream for me! Especially the lift!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that turned out great! I especially like the way everything`s up off the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Nothing like a clean, organized, attractive garage. It`s on my short list this fall. Only been procrastinating for 15 years!

I`ve got a weird situation, at least one I`n not seeing in garage pics I`ve been reviewing. When the shack was built they laid the foundation at the same level right across under the garage walls for continuity. Since the garage floor is so much lower than the house after the cement was poured I ended up with a course and a half of exposed block along the outside walls resulting in a 4" ledge around the perimeter with the exception of one inside wall. Dunno what to do about base cabinets... if I mount `em on the floor I end up with a gap behind `em. If I mount `em on the ledge and lag into the wall I end up with some space underneath which would be nice to stash floor jacks, jack stands and what-not as well as making it easier to hose everything out. However, it`ll result in a pretty high countertop and reduce space for things like lawnmowers and snowblower etc that I don`t want to leave in the unheated outside shed in the winter. Think maybe I`ll just go with larger wall cabinets and a workbench setup along the one inside wall.

Really love some of the flooring I`m seeing. Think I`m gonna have to go with epoxy though. I`ve got flush floor drains that get a lot of use in the winter and gravel that gets dragged in from the driveway. Ease of cleanup and stoutness are gonna be the priorities on flooring.

Nice garage!

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    My flooring is nothing elaborate or super expensive. I wanted the black and white checkerboard look. I just had the floor initially painted in three coats of white, then had the floor chalk lined into squares as if it were going to be tiled, then taped, then the black squares painted off. I can change the floor to something else entirely if I ever desire to and it was substantially cheaper than other options.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys. TL, mine isnthe same way. I have two concrete ledges, so the base cabinets on the side walls sit about 3" inches from the walls, which doesnt bother me because one is a large base cabinet and the other has a backsplash.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Love that carage looks very nice now

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, holy supplies stock pile! Are you a professional detailer or is this "just a hobby"?
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
    Wow, holy supplies stock pile! Are you a professional detailer or is this "just a hobby"?

I am by no means a professional. I do this on my"off" time, which doesnt seem to be too often now that I have been working around 32 hrs OT per week at my regular job. I guess you can say that I am addicted to trying new products. Most of the ones you see I dont use, however, there are a few that I go back to time after time after time such as M105/M205; Optimum Hyper Compound spray; Megs MF system; Menz products, With one or two more that I may have forgotten.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very nice. Perfect little detailing palace.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    I am by no means a professional. I do this on my"off" time.

Wow! You are one heck of a detailing enthusiast/hobbyist. You certainly reached the pinnacle (pun?) of our group (no-pros). I admire the pros but I want to be like you, or just have your garage, products, tools and equipments.

Great Job Sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyakerz
    Wow! You are one heck of a detailing enthusiast/hobbyist. You certainly reached the pinnacle (pun?) of our group (no-pros). I admire the pros but I want to be like you, or just have your garage, products, tools and equipments.

Great Job Sir!

Thank you guys. I wanted something that looks nice, but is also functional, practical and within my price range.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic! Now put a flat screen TV in there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that garage definitely puts mine to shame, that is one amazing garage. Too bad we have winters up here and I don`t have a heated garage, I have to move everything from the garage to the basement every winter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information