Post Thanks / Like
    I am still in the planning stage of remodeling my garage this spring. After reading up on flooring, and hearing some claims that others have made about racedeck squeaking, I looked into a few different floors, and have narrowed it down to racedeck or swisstrax. I am receiving samples from both next week, but swisstrax customer support is phenomenol, and actually after speaking with them, they agreed to take 1.20 per square foot off to earn my business.

Anyway, to my questons: Since this is a budget remodel, trying to stay under 4,000.00, (2,000.00) of which is going to flooring, and the rest into cabinets, paint, lighting, and odds and end. I need ALOT of cabinets, and have narowed it down to either Gladiator or Utili-Mate cabinets. Does anyone have either of these and/or knowledge of these for comparison purposes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan - I have the Ulti-Mate garage cabinets and I really like them. I picked mine up a Sears and have had them for about 3yrs. now. Very sturdy and the shelfs do not bow with the weight that is on them. I get lots of compliments on them as well. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rexrock
    Ryan - I have the Ulti-Mate garage cabinets and I really like them. I picked mine up a Sears and have had them for about 3yrs. now. Very sturdy and the shelfs do not bow with the weight that is on them. I get lots of compliments on them as well. Good stuff.

Rex, how is the finish on them? I dont want the pro series, just the regular series in slate grey. I was concerned about warping from any moisture/humidity in the garage. I found a website where I can get the 8 pc set for 1395.00.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    check with your local cabinet guys, I found they could build to my specs better and cheaper than the generic ones.

laminate is the best for faces and tops if near moisture. I just got new cabinets less than 6 months ago.

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    Rex, how is the finish on them? I dont want the pro series, just the regular series in slate grey. I was concerned about warping from any moisture/humidity in the garage. I found a website where I can get the 8 pc set for 1395.00.

I don`t have the pro-series, I have the slate gray ones you are refering to. I have had no warping issues at all, they are real thick and sturdy. From time to time I need to wash a vehicle in my garage and they have gotten wet. The only small issue is the handles show tiny rust spots, but its metal, raw metal doesn`t like water. A bit of steel wool will clean them quickly. Like I said, they are very `professional` looking and I get compliments on them all the time. Too bad you are not a bit closer (I`m about 2hrs. from you), you could see them in person before you bought them.

Most Sear`s stores had them on display when I bought them. I ordered online from them and then picked them up at the store to save a lot on shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stree5927- What do you plan to use the cabinets for?

I ended up *not* getting cabinets for my shop at all, they just weren`t right for the application. And yeah, I was a bit "Aww..but I really think they`d look cool!" about the decision, but "form follows function" and they weren`t what I really needed from a functional viewpoint.

Ten years later, no regrets. Even though the shop would look nice with `em. But hey, that`s just my situation.

I do have cabinets on the other, "non-shop", garage; different situation, different set-up so I can see it both ways. Just make sure you`re putting your $ into the right stuff before you spend it. Had I put cabinets in the shop I woulda ended up taking them out and wondering what to do with `em.

Working within your budget, I`d probably rather spend the money on lighting and other electrical work, or at least I`d prioritize that and see what`s left over for cabinetry.

You mentioned humidity as an issue- what`re the plans to control that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

I ended up *not* getting cabinets for my shop at all, they just weren`t right for the application. And yeah, I was a bit "Aww..but I really think they`d look cool!" about the decision, but "form follows function" and they weren`t what I really needed from a functional viewpoint.

Ten years later, no regrets. Even though the shop would look nice with `em. But hey, that`s just my situation.

I do have cabinets on the other, "non-shop", garage; different situation, different set-up so I can see it both ways. Just make sure you`re putting your $ into the right stuff before you spend it. Had I put cabinets in the shop I woulda ended up taking them out and wondering what to do with `em.

Working within your budget, I`d probably rather spend the money on lighting and other electrical work, or at least I`d prioritize that and see what`s left over for cabinetry.

Yeah, your`re right. For my situation they are working real nice. One thing I do like is that supplies are behind closed doors and I don`t have to answer "What`s that for?" over and over. Lighting and your electrical setup are more important than having these cabinets. You can make do with other things for a while until you have the $$ for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rexrock
    One thing I do like is that supplies are behind closed doors and I don`t have to answer "What`s that for?" over and over..

Yeah, I can see the benefits of having stuff out of sight. That`s just not an issue in my situation but I bet it`s a biggie for pros and/or people with children who get into things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Thanks for all the input. To answer your questions Accumulator...Right now, I just have wire storage shelves. I am looking at this from many different angles. 1.) With new cabinetry, base and wall cabinets, I will be able to have more storage for stuff that is really cramped on my shelves right now, which many times fall off the shelf onto the floor. 2.) Be able to organize things a little bit better. 3.) I want a cleaner look, because right now, it looks like there is no organization and everything just looks cluttered. 3.) Having a dog and spending alot of time outdoors, I am hoping that keeping things in the cabinets will keep them less dusty. 4.) Dust & dirt collection under and behind the cabinets will not be an issue (this goes along with installing a new floor...which by the way, I have decided to go with the swisstrax), and I will be able to just run a vacuum/mop over it to keep it cleaner and a more dust/dirt free environment. 5.) With the cabinets, I am going to install a work bench in with the cabinets, which will give me somewhere to tinker on projects, as I don`t have a work area now. Since my house is only 10 years old, I have (2) seperate 20 amp breakers, one for the central vac and one for "whatever". I have enough recepticals in the garage, and even have them in the ceiling. I recently installed (4) 4` T8 light fixtures; probably not the greatest for detailing, but they give off ample light for the amount of detailing that I do, plus just for general purpose work. I may install two others, but that can wait for now. As far as heat, I haven`t decided what I am going to do there, but since it is attached, it was 20 degrees here today, and it was 38 in the garage. I have yet to have it dip below freezing; so it`s not a huge issue right now. In the summer, I run a de-humidifier in the garage and basement, so that`s how I deal with the humidity, although there is always going to be a certain amount of humidity. I also want to invest in the Gladiator track system that is sold at Lowes for storing brooms, shovels, etc on the walls. A very nice (Clean) look and will be very functional. Besides, the walls need to be repainted, so I am going with a two tone paint, white, light grey and charcoal to match the flooring and cabinets that I have picked out. Overall, I am looking at this as a way to increase storage, functionality, while making it look "nicer".
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Street5927- Ah, I can see you`ve put a lot of good thought into this. Now I can understand why you want the cabinets. And yeah, it oughta be both functional and good-looking :xyxthumbs

I gather the cabinets/work bench aren`t gonna cut into your floor space too much. Yeah, it`ll be good to have a work bench (get a good vice ).

I was wondering about the humidity in part because of your flooring...wasn`t sure it it`d retain water :think: I had to rethink my choice of shop flooring (and have the floor torn up and redone!) after the "the water will flow to your drains!" sales pitch didn`t work out in practice.

Your color scheme sounds sorta like what I had at my previous shop- I had very light gray walls, with a darker gray lower area that hid dirt a little better.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should also think of diposition for water to be well drian... I had a custom storage systems and the water was stuck behind it...

good luck

Josée

Post Thanks / Like
    I also did light grey walls and darker grey lower section and floor. Holding up well after several years.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    i built my cabinets to fit my needs and space. but as has been suggested try your local cabinet maker they`ll look better than the prebuilt ones and probably cost less. as for the paint gloss would be the best choice reflects the most light and is the most durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey you can order on modularstoragedrawer.com some great storage solutions! Wide range of systems that are nice looking and good prices to! When you order online they provide you great assembly instructions to!

Worth looking If you want my opinion!

Post Thanks / Like
    This isn`t exactly what you`re looking at but maybe it will be worth considering

I built an overhead storage area with sliding doors covering the shelves so it looks neat.

You can see it in this short video: Finished Garage With Max Jax 2 Post Lift - YouTube

I have more photos and info on how I built it if interested(?)

Thread Information