Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and check out this shop.

New FMIC + detailed at DLUX8

Not much of an article but good eye candy with some fun comments.
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shop, but unless those are some kind of magic fluorescents I`d think there`s no way to know how decent the correction job is.

Heh heh, I`m about two lifetimes too old to appreciate that red Audi

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha accumulator. I agree on both points. Both look cool in an iRobot kinda way. I am a VW/ Audi man though so my heart still flutters a bit at the site of progression. Although i am much happier sliding into my Allroad which has been unmolested other than a tint job and apr chip.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    David Bibiloni

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    D Tailor- Heh heh, and would you believe that an AllRoad was something I was *so* dissatisfied with that I took it back after a few days?!? Sheesh, there`s just no pleasing some people But yeah, if the older dog`s crate would fit I`d have an Audi Avant myself (pre- `05.5 ).

BTW, I still have your D2-car headlight-washer deactivation info, oughta get around to that some day. Thanks again for sending me that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator- Well apparently you and almost everyone else that bought an Allroad ended up taking it back or wishing they had. I love mine though. Everything works great and still looks like it has never been sat in.

I like the way you are thinking on the pre 05.5 Avant. Definitely my favorites as well. I looked at others recently, but for a `hauler` (perfect for detailing) i love my quattro `ringer`.

Let me know if you ever need any more help with that diagram and such. I am happy to be able to help. Also let me know if you need any parts. I got a good guy...

David Bibiloni

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    D Tailor- Thanks, appreciate the assistance. Heh heh, might need some help finding stuff for my `93 V8 beater sometime!

Yeah, I bet you *are* keeping your AllRoad nice, do you have those weird, hard-to-clean wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Nice shop, but unless those are some kind of magic fluorescents I`d think there`s no way to know how decent the correction job is.
    Really ? All I use is fluorescents and the occasional LED light (don`t even own a halogen, health reasons), and while I don`t do corrections everyday, I haven`t run into any issues.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    D Tailor- Thanks, appreciate the assistance. Heh heh, might need some help finding stuff for my `93 V8 beater sometime!

Yeah, I bet you *are* keeping your AllRoad nice, do you have those weird, hard-to-clean wheels?

You bet! You mean the wheels that shimmy just enough to make you take it in for alignment verytime you hit 50 until you pass 60? They always tell me its fine. They`re not bad to keep clean with low dust pads and some spray and rinse. But it may be time for a refinish. While they have no rash or furnace...they do have some miles and are falling short of standards you know.

David Bibiloni

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    D Tailor- Heh heh, yeah..those are the ones! Even harder to eliminate that shimmy if you insist on adhesive weights on the back side only! I kinda figured that [stuff] might build up somewhere and throw the balance off but I didn`t have mine long enough to have the problem (literally just had it over a weekend, good thing the dealer wants to keep me happy).

WAS- Whatever works for people is cool with me :xyxthumbs

In my shop, I have literally dozens of 8` tubes and many smaller ones too; they really light up the place. But... I just can`t see anything except the very worst marring under fluorescent light :nixweiss Good for texture and gloss, and for "dull, wide scratches", but to see swirls/etc. I have to turn them off and turn on the other lights. I`ve even experimented with fancy fluorescents in art gallleries/jewelry stores and they don`t show marring for me either. I need "point source illumination" to see it, especially the fine stuff. Heh heh, Mike P. and I have joked that my inspection lighting is almost *too* demanding, far moreso than natural sunlight, and yeah...I`m kinda nutty about the whole thing

Post Thanks / Like
    WAS- Whatever works for people is cool with me :xyxthumbs

In my shop, I have literally dozens of 8` tubes and many smaller ones too; they really light up the place. But... I just can`t see anything except the very worst marring under fluorescent light :nixweiss Good for texture and gloss, and for "dull, wide scratches", but to see swirls/etc. I have to turn them off and turn on the other lights. I`ve even experimented with fancy fluorescents in art gallleries/jewelry stores and they don`t show marring for me either. I need "point source illumination" to see it, especially the fine stuff. Heh heh, Mike P. and I have joked that my inspection lighting is almost *too* demanding, far moreso than natural sunlight, and yeah...I`m kinda nutty about the whole thing
    Really, hrmmmmmm, I wonder if bulb choice makes any difference ? I`m using high output, low energy consuming T8 fluorescents. IIRC, the bulbs are rated at 4800K color. I can easily see swirls and other defects under those bulbs, but for the most stringent assurances, I use the five-LED flashlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d hate to see the light bill from that place. Nice looking for a home garage, but all wrong for a detail shop IMHO. Not my taste.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    WAS- Eh, I`m no expert on the various fluorescents. The ones in the art/jewelry places (note that I wasn`t inspecting cars ) were supposedly something special, but again, didn`t work as well for me as incandecents or the SunGun. They were better than "regular" fluorescents by a long shot, but I wouldn`t say they were as good as halogens. (Heh heh, yeah...the people in those shops *did* consider me a bit peculiar, but I guess I`m a customer worth indulging.)

Maybe I`m just different :nixweiss I don`t think my Brinkman Dual-xenon is anything great either.

Next time somebody starts a "which lights?" thread you and I can present different sides of the coin and amaze people by not getting all :argue about it (some recent threads here are *so* contentious that I`m almost looking forward to a polite difference of opinion).

Post Thanks / Like
    WAS- Eh, I`m no expert on the various fluorescents. The ones in the art/jewelry places (note that I wasn`t inspecting cars ) were supposedly something special, but again, didn`t work as well for me as incandecents or the SunGun. They were better than "regular" fluorescents by a long shot, but I wouldn`t say they were as good as halogens. (Heh heh, yeah...the people in those shops *did* consider me a bit peculiar, but I guess I`m a customer worth indulging.)

Maybe I`m just different :nixweiss I don`t think my Brinkman Dual-xenon is anything great either.

Next time somebody starts a "which lights?" thread you and I can present different sides of the coin and amaze people by not getting all :argue about it (some recent threads here are *so* contentious that I`m almost looking forward to a polite difference of opinion).
    I`ve always wanted to try a SunGun, but no one around me has one

For sure, a good lighting thread is needed, been a while since we had one of those. But if you disagree with me then I`m going to hit you with a bat. Just for say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WAS
    I`ve always wanted to try a SunGun, but no one around me has one

The SunGun is wicked...in double-edged sort of way. You find yourself stressing about stuff you didn`t know existed before! Mike Phillips hardly ever uses his, and teases me about how nobody`s going around inspecting my car with one in real life :chuckle: He and I both find it utterly unforgiving, moreso than anything else....but it takes a while to figure out just how to use it (and when you do figure it out it`s a sad discovery because your "perfect" finish is just awful).

.. if you disagree with me then I`m going to hit you with a bat. Just for say.

Heh heh, that`s the way a few people here are reacting to all sorts of disagreements!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunguns are great, but if you want true correction get yourself metal halide! Oh and back to the shop. While it looks cool. Not set up at all for real correction work. I often see these nice shops, but the inportant purpose of a location is to be able to provide true services with proper tools, lights and whatever. This shop and all them flourecents will not do it! Although I do like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information