Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Collection

Post Thanks / Like
    My reply to Anthony A

Hmmm I wonder if actually detailing the car even matter to you? Lots of product pictures but not one of the cars you use it on. You seem to be into making the manufacturers rich. I don`t know how old you are but I hope you out grow the product collecting stage.

I am 36 years old:bawling: I share my collection with my girlfriend(it`s a rare detail breed:woot2: ) We going to many meetings of car fanatics. Pictures will follow. 17 july near Arnhem in holland their will be a (mini) detailfest. Together with the dutch Chemical guys importer it will be a fun but a informative day.(pictures will follow)

Post Thanks / Like
    you have shown me just how much of a newbie I am. The next time the wifey says not another car cleaning item I`m going to show her this thread.

And might I add DAY-UM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhudeboye
    you have shown me just how much of a newbie I am. The next time the wifey says not another car cleaning item I`m going to show her this thread.

And might I add DAY-UM!

This "collection" is not necessary or normal. As a newbie you should be focused on learning all the different steps and perfecting your technique. You will get by no problems with less than 2% of the products in this ridiculous collection. You shouldn`t be impressed when you see the pics of huge stashes of products you should be asking your self "what`s the point".

Post Thanks / Like
    chost10,

I`m glad you enjoy your hobby; I look forward to seeing some pictures

Oh, and, I`m sorry about today`s World Cup outcome, as I too was rooting for Holland :bawling:

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04impala
    serious question, why do you refrigerate your wax. wouldnt that harden it, and make it more difficult to use?

Some products (waxes, leather treatments) that contain natural components (oils, etc.) will have a longer shelf-life if refrigerated. Same basic idea as keeping food from going bad.

And yeah, stored properly (I don`t refrigerate my waxes BTW, but do store some in the same room with our wines), products can stay usable for a long, long time. I`m still using some stuff from the 1980s and somebody (was it maybe Joe/Superior Fine?) once experimented with some Meguiar`s products from the `60s and they still worked fine. I have an old tin of Pro paste wax from the `70s that was still OK the last time I checked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    chost10, did you get the pm I sent you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like organizing everything I own. Your collection is what I`d accomplish if I had that many products. I like what you did with the towels and I was planning on doing that soon. Bin for glass, interior, misc use, etc etc....

Its awesome. Orginization is awesome. I buy stuff just so I can organize. I planned on hitting up wal mart tomorrow for a bin for my microfiber and just reorganize my tool box and stuff.

I currently have a rack I scored from work(grocery store) and have my products on there but I have no where as many as you and im not a pro.

again, very awesome

Also how do you like the Megs engine cleaner and detailer?

Post Thanks / Like
    So....you refrigerate your wax to make it last a half century, or is there another reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    I refrigerate mine as well. The two things of hard wax I have. I don`t want to leave it out in the garage since it gets a bit warm in there from the aluminum door and FL sun

Post Thanks / Like
    For some waxes it supposedly matters...never bothered with it myself, but if I had big bucks in some Zymol/etc., and they said to refrigerate it, I`d probably take their advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that many products if not more. When you order in bulk and companies often times throw in freebies. Anthony A, why are you here to be such a Debbie Downer? Admire for what it is, if you don`t have something nice to say don`t say anything at all. Hell, he could be a pro detailer and in my experience, certain cars react better to certain polishes/sealants/waxes and you need to be able to adjust to get the job done right with the best results possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Labster
    ..in my experience, certain cars react better to certain polishes/sealants/waxes and you need to be able to adjust to get the job done right with the best results possible.

It can be surprising how seemingly similar products can be right/wrong for certain applications. I`ve had cases where five or six "same-category" products all behaved completely differently, and I was sure glad I had those "redundant choices" (scare-quotes intentional) on the shelf. Could I get by with fewer options? Sure, but I`d be compromising in some regard. If somebody else needs fewer/more choices than I do, or simply *likes* that, well.. OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    It can be surprising how seemingly similar products can be right/wrong for certain applications. I`ve had cases where five or six "same-category" products all behaved completely differently, and I was sure glad I had those "redundant choices" (scare-quotes intentional) on the shelf. Could I get by with fewer options? Sure, but I`d be compromising in some regard. If somebody else needs fewer/more choices than I do, or simply *likes* that, well.. OK.

My thoughts exactly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    Hmmm I wonder if actually detailing the car even matter to you? Lots of product pictures but not one of the cars you use it on. You seem to be into making the manufacturers rich. I don`t know how old you are but I hope you out grow the product collecting stage.

Fantastic comment.

Is this person interested in detailing products, or car detailing itself?

Or is he retailing detailing products?

Those stuff are too nicely arranged, looks too new and appears to be for exhibition/display, rather than being rigorously used on a regular basis.

My other professional detailing friends call this "SB syndrome" - Small Boy syndrome.

It`s where a young fella suddenly jumps into car detailing (or photography etc) because he`s so intrigued by the variety of products in the Internet bearing stupendous claims. Wow! looks so cool! He would only be familiar with mostly Internet promoted brands, and any brands that`s most talked about and hyped on the Net forums.....he just must have it.

His knowledge is also most derived from the Internet, and he would hv a fetish for buying the most talked about products on an on-going basis and showing it off in the forums just like a little boy.

Perhaps he can show us some pics of him detailing a car and the before and after pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    This "collection" is not necessary or normal. As a newbie you should be focused on learning all the different steps and perfecting your technique. You will get by no problems with less than 2% of the products in this ridiculous collection. You shouldn`t be impressed when you see the pics of huge stashes of products you should be asking your self "what`s the point".

I always remember these golden rules:

1. It`s mostly in the prep work - what kinda paintwork are you dealing with, and how to prep it properly.

2. It`s not what you use.....it`s HOW you use it. Take Meguiars 205 as an example. Lots of ways to make this product sing.

3. The brand is not critical....in a blind test, you cant tell if P21s or Pinnacle was used on a car. So, don`t deceive yourself.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information