Post Thanks / Like
    My door appears to have lived its last days. It no longer opens mainly because of some problems relating to the weather.

I have 2 9x7 doors so I might as well replace them both.

My first thought was insulated fiberglass doors but I havent seen any available lately. Most places have stopped stocking them.

The second thought was insulated steel doors. Some have an R value of 13 which is quite good.

Anyone have any recommendations? If they made nice looking roll up doors I would love to have those but its hard to sell in the neighborhood I live in. There goes my dreams of having a lift

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Genie at Home Depot.

Genie Powerlift 1/2 Hp Screw Drive Garage Door Opener - H4000-07 at The Home Depot

Genie Powerlift 1/2 Hp Screw Drive Garage Door Opener

Love it, very quit and fairly fast opening and closing.

simple install.

I have 3 year old Genie screw drive on my other door. solid product.

Reeeko99, 13 Subaru Legacy Sport White, 15 Subaru Outback Premium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    You are looking for a door and not a door opener right?

Home Depot carried insulated doors as of a little over a year ago, but they are only available by special order. The builder that I work for purchases all garage doors from Overhead Door. They are a chain, but not sure if they are located close to where you live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Residential Garage Doors - Wood, Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass, Materials has a good overview of the material types. IMO Aluminum is the way to go, it won`t rust like steel and its cheaper. Stay away from wood!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    [url=http://www.garage-doors.com/garage-door-varieties.php] Stay away from wood!

Why stay away from wood? They may not last 50 years, but they are nice and quiet. I can`t stand my loud aluminum door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to those who chimed in.

I am talking about the actual door, My openers are chain driven and appear fine.

So theres pluses and minuses on all front. The Aluminum doors wont rust but they will dent more easily than steel. dont like that with neighbors kids throwing balls all the time.

I have a wood door now. It swells on occasion and doesnt seem ideal. Its also not a cheap option.

So it looks like Ill be buying a super insulated 2" steel door with Eurathane wedged between the pieces. R value is about 12 which is good considering theres a bedroom above it.

Now the search begins.. I expected more options but looks like everything is special order

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wfedwar
    Why stay away from wood? They may not last 50 years, but they are nice and quiet. I can`t stand my loud aluminum door.

Because they will eventually rot out. I`ll trade you a 1/2 rotted wood door for your noisy aluminum door.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a home builder and we only use steel insulated garage doors. They provide the best insulation, the best durability, and virtually no maintenance. They can also be fabricated/painted to look like wood if you want that appearance.

They are typically the most expensive route but it is worth it in the long run. I wouldn`t bother with going through hardware stores for a garage door. You need to find a local garage door manufacturer/vendor as they will be able to cater to your needs without having to worry about stock and availability. They aren`t going to charge any more than Home Depot or whatever for the same exact door, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 Garaga H-tech plus aluminum garage doors.

Thet have an R18 insulation value and are asthetically appealing.

Unfortunately I didn`t find a dealer in your area

Garaga Garage Door Manufacturer by Garaga - United States

Post Thanks / Like
    Garage door insulation values are great - only if they make a good seal with the frame. Small gaps between the door and the frame effectively negate the insulation. You probably already know this, but it`s better to be thorough.

Thread Information