Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I need to do paint work on some custom engine covers my other company makes. I`d like to keep it in house as outsourcing to powder coaters has resulted in utter failure (not worth the story).

I have an L-cove inside my garage that`s about 6x4. The garage is dusty as **** and I`m wondering what i can do to reduce the potential for dust settling on wet products? My primitive thought is "a shower curtain and static air ionizer"

Here is the area:

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    wow you have two companies? Must be a little tough to manage but that`s great!

Sorry i know this had nothing to do with keeping thongs less dusty.

Post Thanks / Like
    the redneck method.. Spray the dust source with water and wet all concrete then start painting ASAP.

The logic is wet particles hold down the dust and then by the time the water evaps the paint is semi dry

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone else suggested that, Guess I should paint all the exposed drywall then?

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec92civic
    wow you have two companies? Must be a little tough to manage but that`s great!

Sorry i know this had nothing to do with keeping thongs less dusty.

yup, and a "day job" which ruins all my fun :heelclick

dayjob: Jaap-Orr Co. Marketing + Advertising

personal endevour: Custom Car Emblems from third_shift|studios

weekend gig: Cincinnati Mobile Detailing from third_shift|studios

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a huge fan of the "wet everything down" before painting. Not so much about moisture in the air, but slinging water with the air hose to the gun. My suggestion is to have a fan at the back of your painting area on high pointed out of the space, then blow it out with a leaf blower or air fitting, wait 10min. then repeat just to get any residual dust. Don`t forget the ceiling and get the peg board really well. Another thing I found that reduces trash is laying down plastic on the ground below the object. It prevents any dust from blowing up. Also buy a cheap bunny suit and head sock, $7 well spent in contamination control and protection. Right before you spray, gun in hand, give the piece another quick wipe with the tack rag. Hope that helps out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrobbins
    I`m not a huge fan of the "wet everything down" before painting. Not so much about moisture in the air, but slinging water with the air hose to the gun. My suggestion is to have a fan at the back of your painting area on high pointed out of the space, then blow it out with a leaf blower or air fitting, wait 10min. then repeat just to get any residual dust. Don`t forget the ceiling and get the peg board really well. Another thing I found that reduces trash is laying down plastic on the ground below the object. It prevents any dust from blowing up. Also buy a cheap bunny suit and head sock, $7 well spent in contamination control and protection. Right before you spray, gun in hand, give the piece another quick wipe with the tack rag. Hope that helps out.

X2. I know some people who wet the floor and "don`t" have problems, but I wouldn`t wet it down.

- it`s possible to induce humidity,which is not good for paint

- you are in a garage,you are going to get dirt in it

- you get dirt in a paint job in a downdraft booth so what`s the point of water in a garage and set yourself up for problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d tarp/plastic the whole area off, clean the hell out of the garage first, sweep up for like 3 or 4 days first. Powerwash the garage out, and as you said paint the walls. Then I`d take a few of the suggestions out of the above, like the fan to exhaust the air out, and help hold the dust back. I`d also think about using a new clean space heater to help bake the paint a bit in that little area to speed up the drying time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can make a portable, collaspable paint booth very simply. It can be of any size. Use PCV, 1" of it is not a huge (ie whole car and indoors) booth, 2" for a big one. Cut pipe to size, slip it in the corner connectors. Cover in clear plastic sealing seams with duct tape. Using a sealed fan to pull the air out and quality furnace filters taped in place for the intake. When done, just slip the corners out of the pcv joints, fold/roll up and store in plastic bags in the rafters of the garage or where ever you want.

FYI, there is a really good powder coater in Ohio, Aesthetic Finishers. They have done work for me, the club, friends, etc and it has always been good. Here is a bike that I built for my son that they coated `chrome` over which they put a transparent candy:

Sorry about the size!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    holy life-size pic, rich.

I like the idea of the collapsable cornes etc.

I`ll only be using aresol can`d spray paint-not a gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    In that case, you could make a table top sized one if you want. Try out Aesthic Finisher though. Good work, turnaround and pricing.

Oh, and FYI, I checked with the hotel and no problem you detailing my car in their garage so we are on for 4/24! We can firm things up as we get closer.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    killer. thanks for looking that up-i was going to do the same, but you beat me to it. way to do your homework!

Thread Information