Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings all,

I have been viewing the forum for a long time. I was curious as to how many detailers here on the forum work in a single car garage. My wife and I purchased our first home this year which we could not refuse due to the price, however I am now stuck with a small garage, around 11x20 to give you an idea. The most frustrating part is that the municipality will not allow me to expand it.

Does anyone work in a garage of a similar size? If you have any pics, can you please post them? I would like to see how everyone is managing with a small space.

Thanks everybody!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do plenty of work outside, but I live in SC, so the weather isn`t too bad unless it`s July or August and the temp is >100. I think you could still do plenty of work in that space, provided you don`t have anything else in it. My wife likes to think of the garage like a huge closet, so it`s always accumulating junk. I`m hoping to one day have a separate garage just for working on cars. My advice is to keep it clean and buy four of those little portable worklights that you can put in each corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check out the Garage Journal, there is a garage gallery over there with every kind of garage imaginable. It is a great place to get ideas....

The Garage Journal Board - Powered by vBulletin

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember my dad having a garage this size, it was terrible, just enough to park the car, for anything else forget it. I would see if you can get a tent, its cost effective and you can work under it as long as the weather is ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 96Lude
    Greetings all,

I have been viewing the forum for a long time. I was curious as to how many detailers here on the forum work in a single car garage. My wife and I purchased our first home this year which we could not refuse due to the price, however I am now stuck with a small garage, around 11x20 to give you an idea. The most frustrating part is that the municipality will not allow me to expand it.

Does anyone work in a garage of a similar size? If you have any pics, can you please post them? I would like to see how everyone is managing with a small space.

Thanks everybody!

I know how you feel. It`s hard to move around especially with an extension cord. Mine usually gets wrapped around my car a few times before I realize it. Haha

Most room I have on the right side. The left is even less spacious.

Alot of room up front but, thats about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe if you can keep the garage clears of boxes and junk you`ll have just enough space to work in. oh and try mirroring the walls, make it "look" a lot bigger.:hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LoiG37
    maybe if you can keep the garage clears of boxes and junk you`ll have just enough space to work in. oh and try mirroring the walls, make it "look" a lot bigger.:hifive:

I am definitely going to dedicate it only to detailing. Any kind of tools or garden equipment such as lawnmowers will either go in the basement or outside in the shed.

What do you mean by "mirroring" the walls? Do you mean painting both sides the same?

I was thinking of installing white glossy tiles on the walls to keep the water from penetrating the drywall and so that the light reflects well off the walls.

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant putting large pieces of mirrors on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is tiny also. The left side has about 3 feet more of space so what I do is pull the car in, polish everything on the drivers side, then pull the car out and back it in so I can do the other side. It sucks but we`ve gotta do what we`ve gotta do. In my dreams I have a 3 car garage =]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small single car garage. Never really been a problem cause I`ve always had cars on the smaller side. Now that my wife has a 04 Grand Prix GT it is more of an issue. It`s a much tighter fit with her car in there....but we manage and I just think back to a few years ago when I had NO garage and my thoughts of complaining go out the window pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work in a single car garage and it was a major PITA but doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for you guys. I have a double car garage, and with the tool box, tools, workbench, lawn mower, and everything else it seems tiny. I couldn`t imagine trying to do it with a single car garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LoiG37
    .... oh and try mirroring the walls, make it "look" a lot bigger.:hifive:
    And hang a disco ball from the ceiling.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, stayin` alive.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t imagine putting mirrors on the walls would serve any functional purpose, and it would look like a gym more than a garage.

Thread Information