Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best light that would be appropriate for a 20 by 20 garage. It has 9 foot ceilings. Would florescent or halogens be the best, what brightness. Also were would be the best place to mount them, ceiling or wall or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtfd241
    What is the best light that would be appropriate for a 20 by 20 garage. It has 9 foot ceilings. Would florescent or halogens be the best, what brightness. Also were would be the best place to mount them, ceiling or wall or both?

I don`t think there is really any good answer to this. Each light shows different things. Honestly, I just did Fluorescents in my garage because they were cheaper. If I need a halogen I have a portable one. They get HOT though and I hate working under them for very long. I`d just mount them in the ceiling. You can mount them in the walls but I`ve worked with wall mounted lights before and hated my own shadow getting in the way while I worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to lowes or home depot, pick up (4) 48inch T12 Fixtures for $9.74 each and a pack of 10 6500K bulbs for $19.95 and you should be very happy.

Here`s my set up, with 4100K bulbs which are a bit dimmer than 6500K

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LoiG37
    Go to lowes or home depot, pick up (4) 48inch T12 Fixtures for $9.74 each and a pack of 10 6500K bulbs for $19.95 and you should be very happy.

Here`s my set up, with 4100K bulbs which are a bit dimmer than 6500K

I`d recommend more than 4 if you can. LoiG37 has a very bright garage and a white ceiling so the light reflects. I have 12 lights in my garage and it`s about 24`x24`. My old house I had a 16`x20` garage and had white walls and still used 6-8 light fixtures.

Post Thanks / Like
    While fluorescents are good for general illumination (unlike Danase I like both wall and ceiling mounted, with separate circuits), I find them lousy for swirl-spotting. Good for some other texture/gloss isues though.

Incandescents are cheap and good for spotting swirls.

There are more expensive options if you want to get serious, but I`m pretty happy with a mixture of fluorescents and incandescents. I turn out the fluorescents when doing most inspections, and I turn out *all* these lights when using specialty lighting for serious inspections.

Whatever you decide to go with, get more than you think you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you place the 12 lights around your 24x24 garage? I`m scared when I do mine I will have too much light.
    2008 Honda S2000 CR

2006 Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylinhonda
    How did you place the 12 lights around your 24x24 garage? I`m scared when I do mine I will have too much light.

How can you have too much light? Here are some pics that shows a few of the lights. The 12 are just over the car where I work too. I still need to get lights over on the other side of the garage as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Danase- Hey, whose Grand Marquis?

While my garage is bigger than that (and has a cathedral ceiling), I have *dozens* of 8` tubes and it`s never too bright.

Having banks of lights on different circuits is handy in all sorts of ways, and you can easily tailor the light to whatever the job calls for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob you can really brighten that up by putting up some drywall and giving a good coat of white. That would make a night and day difference there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks, good....I guess there is never too much light. I`ve got 7 so far purchased for my 22x23 garage....maybe I will get a few more. What about ceiling placement? Going side to side or front to rear of garage, or both?
    2008 Honda S2000 CR

2006 Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like
    What about ceiling placement? Going side to side or front to rear of garage, or both?

Depends on how the shop is configured and how you think you`ll be using the individual circuits (assuming you wire it that way).

Go for an arrangement that will give the most uniform/consistent lighting in the areas where you`ll be working. A good electrical contractor can figure it out based on the "throw" of the lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Danase- Hey, whose Grand Marquis?

While my garage is bigger than that (and has a cathedral ceiling), I have *dozens* of 8` tubes and it`s never too bright.

Having banks of lights on different circuits is handy in all sorts of ways, and you can easily tailor the light to whatever the job calls for.

Hey Accumulator! The Grand Marquis is mine.

I agree. The other half of the garage is going to be on another switch, when I get around to finishing it. I was originally going to do like you. One set of fluorescent and one set of incandescent lights. I just got these done so I could get some light in there because the garage had nothing when we moved in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Bob you can really brighten that up by putting up some drywall and giving a good coat of white. That would make a night and day difference there.

Yeah, that is how my old garage was. A little bit at a time though. LOL Once the electrical is all done, in Spring when I can dig a trench to run some 220 to it, I`m going to start insulating the walls and ceiling. For the ceiling I`m hoping to use the spray in expanding foam stuff. The walls I`ll just use fiberglass and then throw up some paneling. I`m not a huge fan of drywall in the garage because drywall is not good with moisture and if I need to get behind it I can`t just pop a panel out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Hey Accumulator! The Grand Marquis is mine..

Heh heh, now *that`s* a pleasant surprise

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, now *that`s* a pleasant surprise

It`s a surprise to everyone I think! LOL The Subaru goes back to the dealer this weekend and I`m finally done with dealing with that car. We picked the Merc up about a month or 2 ago. Found it really cheap. It`s a 1997 with 70,000 miles. Has never seen snow and from looking at the underside I`m pretty sure it`s never seen rain either. One of the most clean undercarriage I`ve ever seen on a car this age. We got lucky. in about a month it will start seeing snow though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information