Quote Originally Posted by tenorplayer23
You`re in California, right? If so, that`s why tile might be a nice choice. With all the snow, water and crap here during the winter months, I think ceramic would be treacherous.
Like I said, this stuff is rated for its coefficient of friction -- it`s approved for public malls and other places here where it pours rain. It`s not slippery like the shiny tiles in your bathroom.

Freeze/thaw cycles might be an issue, though. As a Californian, I didn`t look into that.

The brittleness has a lot to do with how the tiles are set. I `doble-buttered` everything, so there wouldn`t be air pockets. I`ve jacked up my car, dropped hammers. The only ways I`ve damaged it so far is with direct hits from welding slag (tiny spots -- now I put down a welding tarp), and my 65-pound 10-inch forged steel vise, which fell 37" off of my new table while I was installing it.

It chipped the glaze off a corner of tile, but didn`t crack it.

They`re easy to replace if they do break. But so far, they haven`t.

For further reference, that new table I added has a 510-lb piece of 1-inch steel on top of a 360-lb Strong Hold cabinet. I`ve pounded on it hard with that big hammer you see above it, and the tiles it`s sitting on have all been fine.