Post Thanks / Like
    Need a good versatile heavy duty shelving system for tires, bench power tools, u name it.

In the past, I have used Metro wire shelving as it comes in all various sizes. All I need to order was post and what depth, width shelf setup I needed. I liked the fact it was open wire so air can circulate.

Then there is the ULine option which is I have seen in 2 of my friends shops....

72" Wide Span Storage Racks

What other heavy duty shelving is out there for those who are in the know...

Post Thanks / Like
    That one you linked is pretty standard industrial shelving. Sometimes the particle board is warped or warps, and it`s not going to stand getting wet too well. Otherwise it`s usually good bang for the buck. Little bit of a pain to assemble as the paint usually interferes a bit with the shelves locking down, wear some earmuffs when your whacking it with the mallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metro setup is pretty expensive....probably at least $400+ when all said and done.

And yes, I am aware of the drawback of MDF. Stable, but doesn`t like water. Not as air circulating...as well....as wire shelves.

I suppose shipping would probably be in-line with the Metro shelving I order

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally like the stuff you`ve got linked, they are solid...they usually also have some with steel shelves and IIRC they usually have some holes in them, which would give you your circulation.

Post Thanks / Like
    dayummmm....it`s been awhile since I plugged #`s onto paper. at my last storage setup, I did matte black metro shelving. Finish was real nice....it was not like a smooth black. It had like this anodized black finish (textured black) if you want to call it that...

But yes, Metro setup will run me at least 2X + for the same amount of shelves and size setups. That does not account even for the ply I would have to cut for 1 or 2 shelves if I went wire shelf route.

The drawback about wire shelves if you have a heavy *localized* spot, it will bend the wire to a degree. Not huge but I have noticed this on certain items where the weight rests on the corners/posts of the item being stored.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Gladiator system. Very flexible.
    And the light shineth through the darkness

Post Thanks / Like
    eeeks...

I was looking to do 30" deep shelving. And DIY shelving with double rivet shelves.

Shelving may cost a pretty penny - still need to call the local lumber yards to see if they carry 10` sheet goods --- 4x10`s as I was looking to do 5x30" shelves.

If they only carry standard sheet size, we are looking at a sheet per shelf...

Post Thanks / Like
    why 30" deep? Is this just for detailing stuff or is this just for garage organization?

Post Thanks / Like
    Neither - Dumping alot of stuff into storage facility.

If the lumber shops in the area tell me only 4x8 MDF.....I`m heading the Metro shelving route...

Post Thanks / Like
    Chefwong,

I bought the Coleman setup that`s at Lowes.

I have the tall 7 foot cabinet, the small wall hanging

one. And the bench style with drawers. They are grey in

color. I`ve never been happier with mine.

Very reasonably priced too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up doung double rivet shelving.

Debated long and hard on shelving material.

ACX, baltic birch, etc.

Ended up using my leftover hardwood cherry flooring and making shelves out of this.

Good compromise and plenty strong.

Strong being the fact that the shelves I speced were to be 30" deep and sag was definitely going to be a concern.

Thread Information