Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello gang,

I`ve traded some detailing for electrical work in my garage. I`ve visited Garage Journal forum and found great info, but nothing detailing with detailing and lighting.

So.........

I`m either going with T5HO or T8HO set up with 5000K+ bulbs. Anyone have opinions on either set up?

What about putting in some can lighting with Halogens (90W) also so I could switch between halogens or Fluorescence.

Anything else I should concern myself with electrically speaking for the garage?

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

I put 3 of these T-5HO fixtures in my garage over the winter, and have been extremely happy with them. Each one pumps out 19,000 lumens, and it is a very natural light. I fight them to be a great complement to my halogens. I typically use the halogens for correction, and the T-5`s for finishing (they show different kinds of defects and color).

I`m not an electrician, so I can`t answer your other question!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I installed some T8`s in the garage about a year ago, my electrician told me to make sure to get lights with an electronic, not electric, ballast. They will come on instantly and not hum. If you can`t find them for sale locally, then check online or you can buy them the electric type and pick up electronic ballasts. Supposedly, they are not difficult to change out. As for T5 or T8, I have no experience in that department.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    Hello gang,

Anything else I should concern myself with electrically speaking for the garage?

Cheers,

GREG

GFI protected circuits for your receptacles.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like
    get t5 over t8 if you could afford it. only thing is bulbs and thefixture itself cost a little more. but its more efficient and has a very high output. seems like eventually t8 will become the outdated t12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes thanks for thall the info so far.

GFI for sure!

What about the halogen idea I presented?

I`m leaning more towards the T5HO set up.

Cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the T8 lights that I put in my garage. I put in 10 banks in my three car garage. Proper lighting makes such a difference.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    the T5HO lamps are barely more efficient than the T8HO (92ish lumen/watt vs 90ish lumen/watt) The reason people think that T5`s are more efficient is because they are a thinner lamp, which allows you to make a more efficient fixture.

You will get more lumens out of a T5HO lamp, allowing you to use less fixtures to get the desired footcandle level (T5HO are higher wattage-they push out more lumens) HOWEVER, you need to keep in mind the lighting uniformity. Unless your garage has like 15` ceilings, you are going to get a spotted distribution, with really hot spots under the fixtures. the HO lamps were designed to be used in warehouses and industrial applications where they are being mounted at 20-30-or 40 feet, and therefore a viable alternative to HID lamps.

If your just wanting a TON of light, go with the HO lamps. If you are wanting a uniform light, go with more fixtures with lower wattage lamps...like a T8. Stay away from T12s. They are a thing of the past.

Oh, also, with 5000k lamps, you are begining to affect your color rendering index. You may want to stick with 4100 or 3500k lamps if you can. It isn`t a very big drop off to the 5000k lamp, but you might as well not sacrifice it if you don`t need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Agreed. 4100k-4300k is the closest you can get to natural light.
    Alex

96 GTI VR6

Post Thanks / Like
    so what is a good can light to compliment the t5 or t8`s? I have been told you want several different types of lights for the different color spectrums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yobrigidey
    Unless your garage has like 15` ceilings, you are going to get a spotted distribution, with really hot spots under the fixtures. the HO lamps were designed to be used in warehouses and industrial applications where they are being mounted at 20-30-or 40 feet, and therefore a viable alternative to HID lamps.

If your just wanting a TON of light, go with the HO lamps. If you are wanting a uniform light, go with more fixtures with lower wattage lamps...like a T8.

Oh, also, with 5000k lamps, you are begining to affect your color rendering index. You may want to stick with 4100 or 3500k lamps if you can. It isn`t a very big drop off to the 5000k lamp, but you might as well not sacrifice it if you don`t need to.

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoGTI
    ^^^ Agreed. 4100k-4300k is the closest you can get to natural light.

Good info. Can anyone explain color rendering index? and how it`s important. I thought natural light was more like 6500k?

Also, what light and fixture is recommended when your ceilings aren`t 20 or 30 high and more like 8 or 9 feet high?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one explanation from a website: Color Rendering Index (CRI) Explained

For my lower ceiling in the garage, I`m going with the cheaper bulb & fixtures since there is such a short distance for the light to travel. I`ll probably use 4 to 6 48" fixtures, with 4 bulbs per. It`s a standard two car garage. I have halogens on a moveable stand, so that`s not an issue. Good luck with your project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is where I stand now.

I`m going with t8 6 bulb fixture...the fixture has two ballasts so I can turn on either 4 bulbs or 2 bulbs or all 6. This way I can adjust the light and save a bit on energy but still have the amount of light I need.

The bulbs will have a very high CRI rating so I get the truest color possible.

I`m still waffeling on the temp of bulb......5000 or 4300.

My garage is 24x25 and I`m going to have 6 fixtures.........mega light for the long evenings and black cars.

Cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    Here is where I stand now.

I`m going with t8 6 bulb fixture...the fixture has two ballasts so I can turn on either 4 bulbs or 2 bulbs or all 6. This way I can adjust the light and save a bit on energy but still have the amount of light I need.

The bulbs will have a very high CRI rating so I get the truest color possible.

I`m still waffeling on the temp of bulb......5000 or 4300.

My garage is 24x25 and I`m going to have 6 fixtures.........mega light for the long evenings and black cars.

Cheers,

GREG

Sounds like a great set up. Keep us posted with details if you have time. And of course pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of off base but did you consider metal halide at all? I know there are cons to it, just wondering?
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information