Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, try usplastics.com for spray bottles, Grit Guards, buckets, seals, etc.. Not bad prices, huge selection, as well.

See ya. :wavey:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m still waffeling on the temp of bulb......5000 or 4300.

Greg I went with 6500k bulbs in my T8`s. My electrician tried 5000 and 4300 and I liked the brighter light better.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Kind of off base but did you consider metal halide at all? I know there are cons to it, just wondering?

Kevin, I did but my celings are only 9.5` and MH are for much taller, the cost is also a factor to run them, buy them, and replace bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    Greg I went with 6500k bulbs in my T8`s. My electrician tried 5000 and 4300 and I liked the brighter light better.

Pat, I thought about that but it is more BLUE then, I wanted as close to natural as possible. I understand that CRI of the bulb also effects things?

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    Kevin, I did but my celings are only 9.5` and MH are for much taller, the cost is also a factor to run them, buy them, and replace bulbs.

Right ok, that is what I figured. I only asked because I did the whole fluorescent thing but ended up with a few metal halide in the end anyway. My ceilings are 14 ft though so it`s a little easier. I think that`s a nice setup you`re going with; mine was nowhere near as nice.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ten banks in a 3 car garage!!! I have a 3 car garage.........

Can I ask: how many bulbs, what length bulbs, what wattage bulbs you used??

I have four, 2-bulb, 8ft. fixtures. T8 bulbs that fire in the cold (unfortunately, they hum a bit/less expensive ballasts........you only get so much for free from the Home Depot (literally free.........I got some gift certificates from my local bank as an "account premium". Sweet.)

And..........my garage walls aren`t even dry walled & still looks like dayglow in there. When I add the walls/white paint, I`ll be wearing sunglasses. How do you actually "see" in yours??

I`m surprised I can`t see your garage in Delaware from here on a good night.

Thx.

See ya. :wavey:

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    I love the T8 lights that I put in my garage. I put in 10 banks in my three car garage. Proper lighting makes such a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskate
    Good info. Can anyone explain color rendering index? and how it`s important. I thought natural light was more like 6500k?

Also, what light and fixture is recommended when your ceilings aren`t 20 or 30 high and more like 8 or 9 feet high?

---

Okay here we go. Being a Lighting Designer (for theatre) and an advanced amateur photographer, color temp has always been very important to critical for me. Since I now have a very "healthy" addiction to auto detailing I needed better lighting for the Salon (garage). IMHO, color temp. need not factor into utility lighting. What is very important is Lumens (need lots) and even distribution. Color temp. is important if you are trying to match colors, as in being an auto painter. Check out how lighting is arranged in a paint booth (top and side lights). Here is a short explanation on color temps.

Color temperature, expressed on the Kelvin scale (K), is the color appearance of the lamp itself and the light it produces.

According to the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA), color temperature is "the absolute temperature of a blackbody radiator having a chromaticity equal to that of the light source."

Imagine a block of steel that is steadily heated until it glows first orange, then yellow and so on until it becomes blue or bluish-white. At any time during the heating, we could measure the temperature of the metal in Kelvins (Celsius + 273) and assign that value to the color being produced, resulting in a "color temperature." Computer software performs this function for today`s lamps, giving them a color temperature rating found in the manufacturers` literature.

For incandescent lamps, the color temperature is a "true" value; for fluorescent and high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps, the value is approximate and is therefore called correlated color temperature. In the industry, both terms - - color temperature and correlated color temperature - - are often used interchangeably. The color temperature of lamps makes them visually "warm," "neutral" or "cool" light sources.

Lamps with a lower color temperature (3500K or less) have a warm or red-yellow/orangish-white appearance. The light is saturated in red and orange wavelengths, bringing out warmer object colors such as red and orange more richly.

Lamps with a mid-range color temperature (3500K to 4000K) have a neutral or white appearance. The light is more balanced in its color wavelengths.

Lamps with a higher color temperature (4000K or higher) have a cool or bluish-white appearance. Summer sunlight has a very cool appearance at about 5500K. The light is saturated in green and blue wavelengths, bringing out cooler object colors such as green and blue more richly.

But to each his/her own. P.S. I use all 5500K lamps, great color rendering and easy on the eyes (Fluorescent lights in higher color temps tend to create eye strain and fatigue). Today`s digital cameras have a white balance setting for it, and pictures look great. As always do your final pics in the sun to show off the perfection.

My $.02, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up 3 of these from a local distributor for my new shop:

High Bay Fluorescent Fixture,F54T5HO - High-Low Bay Fluorescent Fixtures - Indoor Fixtures - Lighting : Grainger Industrial Supply

I got em for $125 too, minus $60 rebate per fixture from the electric company. Pretty cheap, and they are BRIGHT!

Post Thanks / Like
    So your local distributor discounted the $238 price from Grainger? I ask because we have a huge Grainger warehouse/distribution center in our area and they are not known for discounting anything. These look great for $125 - not so great at $238. Glad that your local electric company is progressive enough to offer rebates on good equipment. Our provider just looks for ways to bump the rates.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karburn
    So your local distributor discounted the $238 price from Grainger? I ask because we have a huge Grainger warehouse/distribution center in our area and they are not known for discounting anything. These look great for $125 - not so great at $238. Glad that your local electric company is progressive enough to offer rebates on good equipment. Our provider just looks for ways to bump the rates.

Thanks

I bought them from a local store and just linked to Grainger to show the model. THEY ARE AWESOME! Haven`t hung them over my bays yet but my nextdoor neighbor in the building hung them and they are so bright its incredible.

-Shaun

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooooo, does anybody that have these fixtures have some pictures they can share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay this is what I`m going to order either the T8 or T5

http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/E...r=E-LN6T8SURS0

Cannot beat the price I think.

Cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, you want different spectums around the whole shop. This will help you see swirl marks easier. Remember the halides in my shop? They`re different spectrums all around to help me see better.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I remember John, your shop was awesome! I can`t do halides, so how does one do different spectrums with T8s? I will have my halogens on a tripod, and may hard mount some Halogens also.

Cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy bulbs with different K, or Kelvin ratings, or color temperatures.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^

I am getting 4100K and 5000K bulbs I can get 3000K bulbs but they are too redish.

Cheers

GREG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information