Post Thanks / Like
    For my garage makeover...I`m wondering...what about flourscent can lights? Everybody has the surface mount or flush mount 4` and 8` stuff.

Why don`t I see any 8" T-5 can lights? These lights put out a 6`+ spead and are much brighter than the regular styles. They also don`t waste light on the ceiling but rather light up below more effectively. But again, I never see anyone using them.

Is there a negitive to flourscent can lights for a garage?

Lighting experts, please let me know. If anyone has any pics of garages with these, I`d love to see them.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest downside I can think of is that IME fluorescents are simply awful for spotting (light) marring. I can only see the *worst* scratches under them.

As long as you have other lights for inspection, then OK...Would these cans` pattern have a sharp shutoff? I mean..would they make for 6" pools of light with hardly any stray illumination?

I kinda like the way stray light from tubes will "spill over" and dimly illuminate most of the shop. For some things I can just turn on one bank of them (instead of all six banks of tubes) and get enough light.

Reflectors behind the tubes, and/or white walls/ceilings seems to get around the "wasted light" IME by reflecting the light to where it`s wanted.

I dunno...this somehow doesn`t sound like a solution to any problem..but if you think you`d like them I don`t want to be a wet blanket. Just consider that bit about whether they`ll create sharply deliminated pools of light and whether you`d like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97
    For my garage makeover...I`m wondering...what about flourscent can lights? Everybody has the surface mount or flush mount 4` and 8` stuff.

Why don`t I see any 8" T-5 can lights? These lights put out a 6`+ spead and are much brighter than the regular styles. They also don`t waste light on the ceiling but rather light up below more effectively. But again, I never see anyone using them.

Is there a negitive to flourscent can lights for a garage?

Lighting experts, please let me know. If anyone has any pics of garages with these, I`d love to see them.

Thanks.

This is a good thing to have, as it helps to diffuse the light. Can lights create hotspots under them and struggle to spread the light. Plus, they are more expensive for the lumen output and a lot more intensive to install.

Thread Information