Post Thanks / Like
    Just recently my family and I moved into a new house that has a nice surprise. Down by the garage the previous owners had installed 2 spigots, one for hot water, one for cold water. I thought this was pretty nifty. Is this common? Just thought I would share.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think it`s common at all. Maybe the previous owners are autopians and like to wash with warm water. I wish i had warm water =[

Post Thanks / Like
    you`re lucky, i wish i had both cold and hot water. the hot water would especially come in handy during the winter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Al, some time ago I posted about a Moen single-handle hot/cold outside faucet...if I didn`t have huge clearance problems where mine goes thru the wall, I would have done it already.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it is just owner preferance, atleast on newer houses.

Warm water is VERY nice to have at a moments notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Hey Al, some time ago I posted about a Moen single-handle hot/cold outside faucet...if I didn`t have huge clearance problems where mine goes thru the wall, I would have done it already.

I have one of those (I think that it`s a Moen) in the water heater closet at my back deck. I have it for washing my dogs.

I put it in about a year ago as our cold water is too cold for dog washing, even in the middle of the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smoknfastlegend
    .. Down by the garage the previous owners had installed 2 spigots, one for hot water, one for cold water..

You might want to get one of those "Y" connectors to tie them together so you can have a good "warm" mix.

Quote Originally Posted by byers ford
    I believe it is just owner preferance, atleast on newer houses.

Yeah, I seldom see such setups unless they were specifically asked for. I`m so used to having both hot and cold water in the shop that I have to remind myself that not everybody has that.

I wonder if they were more common in the past...my father`s (pre-WWII construstion) house had them and so do a few of his friends` places that were built around the same time. Growing up with setups like that, you can bet I specified them for my garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smoknfastlegend
    Just recently my family and I moved into a new house that has a nice surprise. Down by the garage the previous owners had installed 2 spigots, one for hot water, one for cold water. I thought this was pretty nifty. Is this common? Just thought I would share.

When I built my shack I tried to consider all the things I wanted. As the list and the budget grew I had to prioritize but the things I wouldn`t go without was hot & cold in the garage basin, large floor drains with traps and 75,000 BTUs for 900 sq ft. The only thing I missed was not putting hot & cold in a single-handle hose bib so I could use warm water with the hose in winter.

The now-ex wife was in charge of the house, my gig was the garage. If I would`ve been single when I built I would`ve gone with a 2000 sq ft garage and 900 sq ft of living space instead of vice versa. :grinno:

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel naive asking this, but I`ve always wondered if those of us with winters have to worry about freezing or bursting of faucets / pipes installed in an attached but unheated garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockmonkey
    I feel naive asking this, but I`ve always wondered if those of us with winters have to worry about freezing or bursting of faucets / pipes installed in an attached but unheated garage?

Of course, if it gets cold enough. I don`t have any (supply) pipes in my garage, and it usually stays above freezing in there, but I suppose if I insulated it better from the rest of the house, I might have to worry about it getting colder and freezing the sanitary sewer line that runs through there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have hot and cold water in my garage. I just hook the hose/pressure washer up to it, and off I go washing with warm water. It is nice on cooler days, however, I still don`t wash in the winter because it would just eventually freeze. I do have drains in the garage, if I were to wash in there, but the garage is not big enough and everything on the shelves, etc. would just get soaked, so in the winter, I just ONR my vehicles.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockmonkey

Frost-proof hose bibs..... just like on the outside of the house. The valve extends a foot or so back into the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell
    Frost-proof hose bibs..... just like on the outside of the house. The valve extends a foot or so back into the house.

Yep. The hot & cold mixing hose bibb that have is a frost proof model. The only place that I had available to install it was exposed on the wall in my water heater closet.

I`ll post a picture of it tomorrow - it`s pretty huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    it`s standard here on our sub-division, but i told them to install a mixer valve instead

Thread Information