Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    What sort of incandescents are you using? That`s probably something I need to look at as well. There are so many different types, like cool white and so on.

Also I was at Lowes and an employee was showing us the newer CF lighting and how now they have like 3 different colors. One is like a cool, bluish looking to me, another is like a neutral and the last one was "sunlight".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase

The tube fixtures will for sure take forever to warm up and I always have troubles with the ballast and stuff.

Get the hi-output style. They`re up to full output in a few short seconds regardless how cold it is in the garage. I`m fairly certain Philips makes the ones I`ve got.

Would doing an array of CFLs be practical? I wonder if you would get enough output.

These new fangled T8 bulbs/fixtures kick some serious booty, visiting a lighting supply house to see these in action. They`re intense, pun intended.

I`ve got a mix of regular incandescent and (long, hi-output) fluorescent. I can switch them independently. It works pretty well, but it seems you can never get "enough" light in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Get the hi-output style. They`re up to full output in a few short seconds regardless how cold it is in the garage. I`m fairly certain Philips makes the ones I`ve got.

Would doing an array of CFLs be practical? I wonder if you would get enough output.

These new fangled T8 bulbs/fixtures kick some serious booty, visiting a lighting supply house to see these in action. They`re intense, pun intended.

I`ve got a mix of regular incandescent and (long, hi-output) fluorescent. I can switch them independently. It works pretty well, but it seems you can never get "enough" light in the garage.

It just gets so much more expensive to do the cold start up ballast.

I think having CFL,s would be practical since they put out more lumens than the tubes. If you go over to the garage journal you can find people doing it and see some pics.

I hear that! LOL I`m never happy with the amount of light. At the old house it lit up like the 4th of July and I still wanted more.

Here is one garage I found using canister lights.

Compact Fluorescent vs Tubes - Page 3 - The Garage Journal Board

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    What sort of incandescents are you using? That`s probably something I need to look at as well. There are so many different types, like cool white and so on..

I have metal-shaded ones suspended from the ceiling, those currently have frosted 300-320W bulbs in them.

My other garage, which *really* shows flaws well, has bare clear bulbs in the ceiling fixtures and those seem to show flaws even with low-wattage bulbs in them.

I have a hand-held trouble light with a metal shade that I use various wattages of bulbs in. Got it at Lowes for ~$25, they had them in a few types, look for one rated for high-wattage bulbs. It`s not really convenient, but it works if you wrestle with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know because I was going to go with the clear regular bulbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information