Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So, this summer I will be building a garage to store my car on, obviously. However, I would like room to work on it as well. Such as a detail in the winter and room to get under and pull stuff out. So, with that, I am wondering what the best garage size would be. Would 20x20 be a good size? Bigger, smaller?

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct forum. Also, thanks all for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 20 for width would be enough, but you`d definitely need it to be a bit longer, I`d say at least 30 for lenght.
    Domas Designs Logo Design, Graphic Design, Business Card/Letterhead design, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, go with the biggest one you can or else you will regret not building it bigger a year down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is your typical suburban 20X20 residential garage. I can`t even move in there!

If I put a broom in there it`s over crowded!

If you only have one car in the garage 20x20 would be fine.

My buddy has a 30x30 ....... Whoa! What a difference!

20x20 = 400 sf, 30x30 = 900 sf See the difference? It`s going to cost you twice as much. Even if it only costs you $40 per SF, the 20x20 is going to be $16k. the 30x30 would be $36k.:nervous::nervous::nervous:

I agree, go as large as you can afford! Hopefully you can do it cheaper than that if you do a lot of the work yourself!!!!!:xyxthumbs
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope to be closing on a house that has a 24x24ft garage and even the extra 4 feet is VERY noticeable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity
    I hope to be closing on a house that has a 24x24ft garage and even the extra 4 feet is VERY noticeable!

Our attached garage is 24x24 and there is still not enough room....lol. By the time you put in a few shelfs, a workbench, we have a deep sink w/ hose attachments, alot of your space is taken up.

We are actually in the works of designing a seperated garage, which we are planning on 30x36 with 10`h doors and a 16` ceiling and then adding a loft into the attic for storage. Although, it will be a hefty bill to build, we figure around 50k with concrete but without the driveway. I would eventually like to put a lift inside, so that is the reason for the high ceilings. We have been designing it for about a year now, and the plans keep changing as I think of different things, such as lighting, electrical outlets, heating, plumbing, etc. etc. I have removed some things from the plans, added things and moved things around a bit. We are hoping to have enough saved that by next year, we will be able to break ground and build...so I still have alot of time to make sure I do it exactly as I want it and not regret it later.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

That is what our garage is! It`s night and day from our old 20` x 16`. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to figure everything out here. Ill be in college, and my parents have a house that i will live in. The property is 80ft by 50ft (perfect rectangle). And the house is about 30ft by 16 feet (30ft stretching the length of the 50ft line), or so I hope.

Either way, I will either have 60 feet to build a garage, or i will have 40-50ft to build a garage. All the work will be done ourselves for the exception of building the foundation. My dad owns an electrical and contracting company so all wire will be done for near free. Our estimate is around 15k. It will be simple, but hopefully it will get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, this will probably hold two cars but one will be pulled out when we work. There will also have to be cabinets and a work bench.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller91
    Also, this will probably hold two cars but one will be pulled out when we work. There will also have to be cabinets and a work bench.

I doubt a 20x20 would do it for you then. You`re going to want a 2.5 car garage to have room for the bench and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    Our attached garage is 24x24 and there is still not enough room....lol. By the time you put in a few shelfs, a workbench, we have a deep sink w/ hose attachments, alot of your space is taken up.

We are actually in the works of designing a seperated garage, which we are planning on 30x36 with 10`h doors and a 16` ceiling and then adding a loft into the attic for storage. Although, it will be a hefty bill to build, we figure around 50k with concrete but without the driveway. I would eventually like to put a lift inside, so that is the reason for the high ceilings. We have been designing it for about a year now, and the plans keep changing as I think of different things, such as lighting, electrical outlets, heating, plumbing, etc. etc. I have removed some things from the plans, added things and moved things around a bit. We are hoping to have enough saved that by next year, we will be able to break ground and build...so I still have alot of time to make sure I do it exactly as I want it and not regret it later.

I hear you on the high ceilings.., The house I hope to close on can fit a lift...AND it has a Drain!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you on the high ceilings.., The house I hope to close on can fit a lift...AND it has a Drain!!!!

Ur killin` me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Ur killin` me!

When I 1st went to look at the house I had my GF with me and I was in the garage and she was looking at other areas.. I screamed for her to come to the garage and when she did I was standing there pointing at the ground saying "Do you know what this is, do you know what this is?" She looked at me like I was nutz and when I told her I was all excited because of a drain she looked at me like I should enter the special olympics

Post Thanks / Like
    When I 1st went to look at the house I had my GF with me and I was in the garage and she was looking at other areas.. I screamed for her to come to the garage and when she did I was standing there pointing at the ground saying "Do you know what this is, do you know what this is?" She looked at me like I was nutz and when I told her I was all excited because of a drain she looked at me like I should enter the special olympics

Haha, that`s awesome! I totally understand. My dad had a drain built into one side of his garage. It`s SOOOO nice in the Michigan winters to be able to wash a car properly inside. It also has heated floors. Man-cave indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am limited by the coverage envlope on my lot but i am getting ready to add to my existing garage. the addition will be 21w x 27.5 deep with a 13` ceiling. more depth is the nice thing to have IMHO. :xyxthumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information