Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is 23` deep and 21` wide. While they call it a 2 car garage you would never be able to get out of either car It is more a 1 car, 1 motorcycle garage which is how I have always used it. My last garage was pretty much the same size and I used it the same way.

With the Mustang pretty much centered in the garage I have 4` behind it, 4` in front of it and about 8` on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam
    i am limited by the coverage envlope on my lot but i am getting ready to add to my existing garage. the addition will be 21w x 27.5 deep with a 13` ceiling. more depth is the nice thing to have IMHO. :xyxthumbs

+1 on the depth, it is nice having some room for cabinets on the back wall or just being ably to get by when the car is in the garage...

My garage is still a work in progress but hopefully this gives you some idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    If worst comes to worst, we can park one outside and cover it. With that, we can make it deeper. We really arent limited with depth, more so width. We will make fit, I am just glad i will have a garage. Haha, trying to look at glass half full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller91
    If worst comes to worst, we can park one outside and cover it. With that, we can make it deeper. We really arent limited with depth, more so width. We will make fit, I am just glad i will have a garage. Haha, trying to look at glass half full.

Your 20x20 garage is MUCH BETTER than the glass 1/2 full,.. D00d you will have a garage... Well done!!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity
    When I 1st went to look at the house I had my GF with me and I was in the garage and she was looking at other areas.. I screamed for her to come to the garage and when she did I was standing there pointing at the ground saying "Do you know what this is, do you know what this is?" She looked at me like I was nutz and when I told her I was all excited because of a drain she looked at me like I should enter the special olympics

Man thati s freaking sweet.. I can`t even fit my Tundra in my garage.lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in a dilemma as far as my garage is concerned. I have to move in 2 months and I can`t find a place with a "2 car" garage in my price range. The place I have now has one, but the living area is too big and not suited to my tastes.

I have a car, 14ft kayak, bicycle, and a grill I want to fit so I`m freakin out. The car parked outside is not an option!
    2007 Mazda3i - Black Mica

2009 Honda Civic EX-L coupe - Tafetta White

Post Thanks / Like
    We`re building a storage shed just for tools and a lawn mower and it will be 12 x 16 or larger. That`s no car or anything. If it needed to fit a single car, we`d go 20 x 25ish.
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    Our attached garage is 24x24 and there is still not enough room....lol. By the time you put in a few shelfs, a workbench, we have a deep sink w/ hose attachments, alot of your space is taken up.

We are actually in the works of designing a seperated garage, which we are planning on 30x36 with 10`h doors and a 16` ceiling and then adding a loft into the attic for storage. Although, it will be a hefty bill to build, we figure around 50k with concrete but without the driveway. I would eventually like to put a lift inside, so that is the reason for the high ceilings. We have been designing it for about a year now, and the plans keep changing as I think of different things, such as lighting, electrical outlets, heating, plumbing, etc. etc. I have removed some things from the plans, added things and moved things around a bit. We are hoping to have enough saved that by next year, we will be able to break ground and build...so I still have alot of time to make sure I do it exactly as I want it and not regret it later.

24x24 will be sufficiant if you are only trying to store/work on 1 single car.There are also alot of prefab garage companys out there that put out some really good quality/looking garages.And with so many right now outta work in tha construction field you could never find a better time to pull tha trigger ,I`m sure there are good deals with timely construction. The only thing I would ad to above would be to add a drain, while Memphis doesn`t have the coldest climate there are days I would hate to be outdoors washing...Good Luck Be sure to have a 2" lift around walls,so if you get heavy rain, it will not flood/make a mess P.S.Sorry, I did not even check page 2.... someone has already mentioned drain, soooo..... I guess the calious on my index finger is now all in vain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Honestly, go with the biggest one you can or else you will regret not building it bigger a year down the road.

You will never now how true this is until you find this out...make it the biggest you can afford, IMHO.
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a 26`x28` and it is a nice sized two car garage with plenty of room for cabinets and stuff.

Here is a pic:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad03xtreme
    I built a 26`x28` and it is a nice sized two car garage with plenty of room for cabinets and stuff.

Here is a pic:

:kewlpics

Where are the pics from the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Honestly, go with the biggest one you can or else you will regret not building it bigger a year down the road.

+1 :2thumbs:

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    After having and working in several types of garages, here are some suggestions:

If the garage is on the smaller size, and you want a work bench, what I did in my first garage was to buy a cheap smooth paneled solid interior door at Lowe`s. I then hinged it to the wall along the back side (I used a piano hinge). I bolted 2, 4" PVC caps to the front corners, and cut 2 pieces of PVC pipe for legs to slide inside the caps. This allowed me to slip out the legs, and fold the door (workbench) flat against the wall when I needed more room in the garage.

Regarding doors, on a 2 car garage I am all for 1 large door versus the 2 single doors. When you have the 2 doors, you have a section of wall between the 2 doors right in the middle. I like 1 door, because I can easily position the car in the middle of the garage to work on it, instead of having to angle.

I forget the name of the stuff, but Lowe`s and Home Depot sell a moisture proof wall board. This is nice, because you can line your walls with this, and then either install a drain, or put a wash mat down, and do full washes inside your garage. Of course, you could skip this and use ONR, but it is nice to do a full wash sometimes.

Insulated doors are well worth the money. And, make sure to properly insulate all walls of the barage, for both heat retention in the winter, as well as noise reduction. In my last garage, I was able to keep it nice and warm in the winter with a $70 Mr Heater propane heater.

If you can swing it, install a washer and dryer hookup in your garage. I am doing this in the house/garage I am building now. This will keep me from having my wife fuss at me for using the nice washer to wash my grungy rags. Additionally, you can unhook the washer water lines, and use the spiggots for cold/hot water supply for washing in the garage.

The garage I am building now on my house will be 25 foot wide, and 40 foot deep. I decided to go deep, so I can put a lift in the deeper area, and it won`t interfere with the door overhead when in the open position. Plus, I can keep all 4 cars in there. The design of the house calls for a garage door on the front of the house, and I didn`t want 2 large doors, or 4 small doors across the front of the house (I wanted people to notice the house, and not a bunch of garage doors).
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information