Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a concrete brick garage about 18x16. I was thinking of painting it but do not want it to be all white (blah). I can`t decide if painting the far wall in a large checker print would look super-cool or horrific.

Has anyone seen this? Feedback?
    Steve Mullin

87 GN - Black - Pinnacle Souveran

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if anyone has any other ideas, I`m all ears
    Steve Mullin

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe something like this....using Black, Red and Orange (Grand National Themed).

I also have some Eagles themes going. Maybe I`ll go Green and Black. Hmmm....
    Steve Mullin

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe just a very faint checker. Nothing that bold covering a wall.
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea i seen it in red and black! 2 by 2 foot squares i know the guy who did this to a really large shop! he made a template and spray bombed on the wall with some h20? paint it looked awesome but it took him two weeks of nights and weekends he said the hardest part was making the template!
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres some photos of my garage as-is.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>

Steve Mullin

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you mean something like this. My wife did this in the bedroom of our first place. It looked amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by never gone
    I assume you mean something like this. My wife did this in the bedroom of our first place. It looked amazing.

That looks great! Thats exactly what I mean. Although I was thinking White black or red black which would be much more dramatic and not as elegant as your bedroom. Kudos to your wife for painting too! Lucky man!
    Steve Mullin

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Your biggest problem is that it`s concrete block and is very uneven. Almost impossible to tape / paint cleanly. If you`re picky about the final appearance, I wouldn`t try to checker it. I`ve seen people try to stripe concrete block and it didn`t come out too good-too many crevices and uneven surfaces for the paint to run into and the lines don`t look sharp.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not opposed to the checkerboard look (I have it on the floor tiles of one bathroom and I have parts of the garage bathroom walls done that way with black/white tiles for a checkered-flag effect), but I wouldn`t want it for a shop wall.

Note that half of the wall will be black..I`d rather have everything white as it`ll brighten up the shop, and IMO would make for a better work/detailing environment.

And yeah, doing an alternating-squares look on (rectangular/not-square) cinderblock sounds problematic.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like checkerboard on floors, but not on walls.

HOWEVER, if you did want to do checkerboard on a block wall, and were worried about the lines being crooked due to the un-even texture of the block, there is another option. I once saw a guy purchase peel and stick vinyl tiles from Lowe`s, and put them on his wall. I think he said they were available in 12", and 16" or 18" squares, I forget. He bought black and whte tiles. and it turned out pretty nice. Of course, he was meticulous with making the seams all line up perfectly.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressornsc
    Your biggest problem is that it`s concrete block and is very uneven. Almost impossible to tape / paint cleanly. If you`re picky about the final appearance, I wouldn`t try to checker it. I`ve seen people try to stripe concrete block and it didn`t come out too good-too many crevices and uneven surfaces for the paint to run into and the lines don`t look sharp.

Very true. I did not consider that. Thanks for the insight
    Steve Mullin

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    It`ll look like crap. We just bought a new house and when I ripped the drywall off the basement walls behind it was a checker pattern painted on the concrete walls. It looks horrible. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd350
    Heres some photos of my garage as-is.

If you want to dress up your garage, you might think about dry walling it first. For the ceiling you will need to use 5/8" drywall, but the walls can be 1/4". Tape and mud the seams and corners and you`re good to go. With you and a buddy working it, it`s a one weekend job. Plus, if you put some insulation up in those rafters, it will be a lot warmer.

:dance

Post Thanks / Like
    My parents had something like a plaster coat put over their cement block. They also had color mixed into it so they don`t have to paint it. It came out pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information