Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: impact driver

Post Thanks / Like
    yep, my craftsman sockets have gotten pretty torn up from use on the impact gun (sometimes I`m too lazy to get the impact sockets). The cheapo pitsburgh sockets from harbor freight have done really well though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sstg
    Go with IR. You can get an adapter for the 3/8 drive.

Sorry, but what is an "IR"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen
    Sorry, but what is an "IR"?

what is IR

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

IR, for what I want to do and as often, that would be overkill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m familiar with the brake bolt you`re referring to. I have a G35 coupe and recently did a brake job on a G sedan. If I remember correctly, that bolt is torqued to 125 ft lbs. per the FSM. I was able to get the bolt off by soaking with Liquid Wrench, turning the wheels outward, and placing a jack underneath the suspension arm. The bolt came loose with the help of a long breaker bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponger
    I`m familiar with the brake bolt you`re referring to. I have a G35 coupe and recently did a brake job on a G sedan. If I remember correctly, that bolt is torqued to 125 ft lbs. per the FSM. I was able to get the bolt off by soaking with Liquid Wrench, turning the wheels outward, and placing a jack underneath the suspension arm. The bolt came loose with the help of a long breaker bar.
    When I do the brakes I follow the same procedure with a block of wood under the suspension arm, but it getting the caliber bracket bolt out that is giving me the headaches. The rear you cannot rotate the wheel outward so you are stuck. Just waiting patiently by the fireplace for Santa, for that impact driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do the brakes I follow the same procedure with a block of wood under the suspension arm, but it getting the caliber bracket bolt out that is giving me the headaches. The rear you cannot rotate the wheel outward so you are stuck. Just waiting patiently by the fireplace for Santa, for that impact driver.

Good luck -- hopefully, Santa will come through. If not, I forgot to mention that I used an old torque wrench. A little more leverage than a breaker bar with more angle. I know you`re not supposed to use a torque wrench to loosen, but it has a lifetime warranty so I can take it back if it breaks.
    //Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe with mods -- always clean//

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponger
    ................. I forgot to mention that I used an old torque wrench. A little more leverage than a breaker bar with more angle............
    I have a big 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight that I use for that same purpose. I wouldn`t use my good Craftsman for that but the HF was on special for about $10 a few years ago. It`s a bit bulkier than a breaker bar but occasionally comes in handy.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I notice there are 1/4", 1/2" or 3/8" drivers. Is there an advantage of one over the other, because there is a significant difference in price?

Post Thanks / Like
    I notice there are 1/4", 1/2" or 3/8" drivers. Is there an advantage of one over the other, because there is a significant difference in price?

My dad and I rebuild motors all the time. All Fords, 347`s, 408`s, 351`s, 460`s etc, and are in the middle of restoring a 1958 bird.

I recommend the red Ingersol Rand 1/2``. Be sure to get a socket set that is not chrome, the chrome may flake. That tool is vital to what we do, and I am sure that it will help you.

Just incase you didn`t know, when you put the wheels back, do not tighten them down with the impact, use quality torque wrench.

Good luck!
    03 Mustang GT

93 Opalescent Mark Viii

06 Navigator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information