Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats just awful
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am a memeber of my350z and thats not right. i am sorry and hope for the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch!

I can take it to a bodyshop school and get better results from a rookie.

The shop person must be on drugs while working.
    There is place like 127.0.0.1

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, this thread is plaguing every car forum like the uhhhh plaque.

It`s on every car related forum I am on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahah same here, on about 3 or 4 of them. It`s getting around and I assume thats the purpose.

Terrible what happened to it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    That person should really sue. I think he has enough evidence and momentum.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John Henry;1182323What are these guys thinking?! They`re sitting on a goldmine, with a minimal capital investment.[/QUOTE]

not hardly. there is no "goldmine" in production work. it`s a very difficult and nearly impossible task to do quality work on a "production" model. just doesn`t work unless you deal with only "one" customer/client who will accept the work no matter what.

quality does not cost more...it lasts longer. there is no such thing as "minimal capital investment" unless you are spraying in your backyard. time is the key to painting. time is money. again, no goldmine here with minimal capital investment. you witnessed that youself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam
    not hardly. there is no "goldmine" in production work. it`s a very difficult and nearly impossible task to do quality work on a "production" model. just doesn`t work unless you deal with only "one" customer/client who will accept the work no matter what.

I tend to disagree with you on this. The high volume/production body shops I frequent tend to produce alot more revenue and profit then the restoration/high-end medium volume ones. Same goes for detailing. You`ll always make more money with volume. Yes, quality won`t be priority #1, but as long as the client`s expectations are met/exceeded on a continual/reliable basis there`s no problem. Maaco, does crappy work, but I bet their profits are much greater than most others. Out of all the details shops I know, the ones that focus on high quality(retail work) always get blown away by the ones that are doing volume(dealerships).
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmie,

I don`t think that you understood my point... probably my fault.

I would agree with you to some extent if we were talking about a start-up. But in the case I mentioned... not naming names, but very well known... the "capital" (building, lifts, compressors, phone system, furniture, etc.) is already amortized, I would guess. "Expense" (labor and materials) is baked into each job.

Marketing is done very effectively by the corporation as part of the franchise fee (or by the grace of God) because in this case, the shop turned away more cars than they painted.

All that was lacking was sound management. I do not know the reason for this, low pay, overwork, foolish stinginess by the owner...? I made the "goldmine" comment because that is the potential I saw, given the franchisee`s structuring a pay plan based on performance, productivity and quality. A mature, experienced and well compensated management team could, in my opinion, clean this shop up, recruit enthusiastic technicians, set and communicate clear objectives and expectations, and run a decent operation, maximizing return for the owner.

Economy auto service customers don`t want to pay for, and don`t expect, a "Mercedes" job. But they do expect and deserve a little respect, where some level of of care and pride shows in the product.
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like
    "Yes, quality won`t be priority #1, but as long as the client`s expectations are met/exceeded on a continual/reliable basis there`s no problem".

my comments were only directed to "quality". re-read my post more carefully.

your statement has alot of "if"`s in it. that`s usually the problem with production, they don`t meet/exceed on a continual/reliable basis. your statement just agreed with my take on it :dig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey at least the body kit isn`t gonna come off!

J/K-a body shop is definitely worth getting references on for any bodywork since it so skill level dependent. My guess is $2500-$3000 to put that car back right-and even at that you will always have rust problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beyond Horrible!!! Ruined a decent car, I`m not sure of the quality of the aftermarket kit ot begin with, but it`s now ALL ruined.

Now I know why the guy who trained me emphasised the importance of sanding and scuffing everything so that the paint would stick, as well as degreasing parts from mold release waxes and applying some sort of ashesion promoter.

Those door jam screws are just hokey!

Post Thanks / Like
    omfg is that dry wall screws. I would of raised hell with that ****** job they did.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very unfortunate, but also just as common. This isn`t the first time I`ve seen wood holding together body panels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information