Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to put together my (kart) garage workshop and was wondering about something. What about using pre-fab kitchen countertops with laminate as workbench tops? I have shelving units that I`ll be making the bottom of the workbenches / counter out of (two 12 foot sections) and just need a top to bolt on. I can get the pre-fab laminate (with backsplash) for less than I could build my own out of plywood. The shelves break down into 36" & 48" tall sections. The 36" tall will be the workbench and the 48" tall will be the divider / bar between the workshop & lounge area. The workbench top would have a backsplash (keep parts from rolling off) and the 48" tall is a half wall / bar with storage underneath-king of like an island. The shelves / bench bottoms are stored in another room right now - not the room where they`ll be used.

It would be mainly for cleaning stuff and I`d do a couple little things: Where the vise would be mounted, I`d put a metal backing plate underneath, and I`d bolt a piece of steel (maybe 2` long x the depth) along one area for hammering / drilling, or anything else that would mess up the laminate.

I know it would get scratched up and all that, but so would wood or anything else that wasn`t metal. As I said, it`s mostly for disassembly / assembly and cleaning. Anyone ever used it in a workshop environment?
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Norm from the Yankee Workshop suggested making work bench tops from plywood that can be easily and cheaply replaced when tired and worn.

Thread Information