Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    before you go spending money buying a new tire that may not need replaced take it to a tire shop and have them dismount the tire and inspect it first. even if you see a small groove on the outside it could be completely safe. the rule of thumb is if you cant see the cord/belts you`re alright. ive worked in a tire shop longer than i care to admit and have seen this plenty. and as far as rotating goes you do want the best in the rear. lets say youre taking on on ramp on a day when there is rain or snow, do you think it would be easier to correct if the rear tires give out or the front. it applies to all vehicles. that doesnt mean dont rotate your tires though, you want them to wear evenly. also if it has been 20k and no rotates make sure you cross the rears when you rotate them to the front as they are probably feathered and crossing them helps to fix/prevent that. they say its always best to cross the non drive axle when rotating so for a fwd the right rear goes to left front left rear to right front and the drive axle wheels straight back. obviosly the opposite for rwd. awd cars you do the same as rwd rotates, cross fronts to the rears and rears straight up.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fronts wear faster, so I`d put the newer ones on the front. Keep them there until the wear evens out, then start rotating again.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear end on FWD cars can loose traction also, doesn`t really have anything to do with which wheels are driving. And when it happens it usually does it very suddenly and without warning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also guilty of putting new tires on the front (FWD) but I have been behind the wheel of a slow downhill corner in the winter and my car started to fishtail, you can`t power out of it so you have to do some creative steering and choice swearing.

Michelin | New Rear Tires You need QuickTime to view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark77
    The rear end on FWD cars can loose traction also, doesn`t really have anything to do with which wheels are driving. And when it happens it usually does it very suddenly and without warning.

Amen.

If you`re only replacing two tires, the new tires should go on the rear axle *regardless of the drivetrain layout* (FWD/RWD), for the exact reasons you`ve described. I`ve heard of people with FWD cars trying to get away with only putting two snow tires on the front. Talk about a recipe for disaster . . . snap oversteer just waiting to happen.

It`s all about braking and weight transfer; physics doesn`t really care whether your car is FWD or RWD.

Tort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information