Post Thanks / Like
    I need AC in the garage and found a few mini split systems online. Anyone have one and can tell me how well they cool down a steaming hot garage in the middle of summer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure which ones you`re looking at, but we used to use split systems in our offices in Malaysia, (think 100 degrees and raining), and they worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of unit(s)? Manufacturer(s), model(s)?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 24x24 garage with 11 ft. ceilings, fully insulated including the doors. Keep it cool with a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim mini-split. I live in Williamsburg VA. Pretty hot and humid. It keeps the garage at 73 degrees without a hitch on a 96+ day with high humidity. Very dependable, 3 years old and no problems. Had a Sanyo mini-split in the old house also no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strzelczykj
    I have a 24x24 garage with 11 ft. ceilings, fully insulated including the doors. Keep it cool with a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim mini-split. I live in Williamsburg VA. Pretty hot and humid. It keeps the garage at 73 degrees without a hitch on a 96+ day with high humidity. Very dependable, 3 years old and no problems. Had a Sanyo mini-split in the old house also no problems.

What did you pay for the Mr. Slim w/ installation?

Post Thanks / Like
    We paid right around $3900 with installation. All the quotes we had were about the same. The units have decreased in price a lot. We have the 1.5 Ton unit. The models have changed in 4 years (Checked the invoice, time flies). You can get this size on the internet for $1900 delivered. It includes the freon. Our installation required a lot of electrical work and drilling through the foundation. In addition, the piping runs from the garage to the outside unit which is 45` away. Just do a search for Mitsubishi Mr. Slim and you will see the direct pricing. I think it is very important to have the garage well insulated, especially the doors.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My friend has one for his bonus room. It isn`t Mitsubishi...I forget the brand. It was in the $3,000 range, and does a great job. This thing is the ticket for a bonus room as I have never seen a bonus room that stays warm or cool enough when tied into the central system. Would imagine it would be great for a garage too.
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was quoted $5400 including install for LG split 12000BTU. Is this enought to cool/heat a 22x30 garage...price reasonable?

Post Thanks / Like
    check this out...

BTU Size Calculatur - Mitsubishi Mr. Slim Sizing Calculator

Do it yourself central air conditioning systems - Buy Direct and Save

other calculator - AC Direct - Frequently Asked Questions

free shipping on all orders over $500 (liftgate delivery however is $99.00 extra), and they are running a 10% off sale on everything until August 5 (which is today!)

they offer financing and install services (install available for FL residents)...they even say on there website to call them for the best pricing...so I`d call them ASAP and see what they can do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gxlex
    I was quoted $5400 including install for LG split 12000BTU. Is this enought to cool/heat a 22x30 garage...price reasonable?
    Don`t know how difficult the install is but The price seems quite high to say the least. I could drive in from Canada and still make money at that price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they have come down in price even more, at least here they are lower in price, if you need heat too they got a decent deal on heat pump mini splits: AC Overstock Mr Slim Ductless Heat Pump Prices

I put one in my garage a year ago after replacing a window unit. Pretty sure my bill was lowered a bit and these Mr Slim units are definitely the most quiet uniots out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    the Mitsu split system heat pump is nice...I was going with a thru the wall AC unit...

but this has made me reconsider...I can heat and cool with the unit, nice...

garage is 24 x 24 x 8, so it needs ~12 BTU, the 13.6 unit would do nicely...

the garage is insulated well...good doors

~$1800 plus install, which looks like I can do myself...

I know an HVAC tech if I need some specific help...

decisions, decisions
    ////AMG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bear in mind that those heat pump units get worse at providing heat the lower the temp goes outside. That Mitsu unit "locks out" at 10°F, so if you`re hoping for a warm garage on a cold winter night in PA, forget it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Just bear in mind that those heat pump units get worse at providing heat the lower the temp goes outside. That Mitsu unit "locks out" at 10°F, so if you`re hoping for a warm garage on a cold winter night in PA, forget it.

hmm thats good to know....

perhaps an electric indoor heater would be in order to help out heating?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m an engineer, I read the specs...

my house has a heat pump with aux elec heat...only kicked on a few times last year...

the house is 2600 ft^2 and my electric bill averaged <120/month last winter...

including lights, cooking, clothes wash/dry, etc. everything....

the ASHRAE tables put us <10F very seldom...

the avg low/high in Jan is 19/38F

but on the average winter days of 20-40F a 60F garage would be nice...

it stayed above freezing with no heat on a 0F day...

if it was 30F OA, it was ~45F in the garage...

plus a nice hot V8 adds some BTU`s as it cools

I lost a lug on my electirc meter on new years weekend, the OA was~10F, my house dropped from 70 to only 55 in >12 hrs, not bad...NO heat...

NC is almost the perfect zone for a heat pump...
    ////AMG

Thread Information