Post Thanks / Like
    I want to purchase some lights and a stand so that I can inspect the defects in my paint.

What`s something good to start with and where I can I buy these lights?

thanks

Frank

I already searched and I am experiencing info overload!

Post Thanks / Like
    go to your local sears and they have a few to choose from, here`s one that alot on here like and use... Craftsman 250/500/750/1000 Watt Halogen Portable Light - Model WL500DPT-T at Sears.com

here`s some more info... http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-de...watt-20-a.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowe`s sells a model just like it for about the same price. The only thing I do not like about it is that the lights cannot be angled down. You have to lower the adjustable pole.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    What color temperature do folks recommend when using overhead florescents? I`m going to be adding a few lights to the garage in the near future and know there are a lot of options for tube florescents...
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Coupe (almost stock...)

1987 Buick Grand National (10.22 @ 131 , E85)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get the daylight temps. I had thought that the 4100k with higher lumens would be "brighter" but it seems the daylight (usualy 75W with a lower rated lumen output) *seems* brighter - more light in the right areas

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott GN231
    What color temperature do folks recommend when using overhead florescents? I`m going to be adding a few lights to the garage in the near future and know there are a lot of options for tube florescents...

I just hope you`re aware that *no* fluorescent lights will be very good for swirl-spotting. If it were feasible to redo the ceiling lighting in my shop I`d go with metal halides on a separate circuit between the banks of fluorescents (they`d replace my incandescent lights). And if you already knew the preceding, well, sorry for rehashing it for the umpteenth time

They`re great for general illumination though, and I`d caution you that some people find certain ones especially harsh/unpleasant even though other people think those tubes are great (my wife and I have different preferences here). Be sure *you`re* gonna be happy before you buy a scad of `em.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...yea I`m reviving the thread here for a second.

Would the 500W single light be enough for correction? I`m a high school student looking to save a little money and if I can put ten dollars I`d save w/ the 500W toward polish/other things than getting the 1000W two light tripod...I`d rather do that. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    99GrandAM- It`d be fine for the inspection but not so good for working under....just not enough light/coverage and you`d have to keep repositioning it all the time (and I don`t mean just now and then).

I`d put the money into stuff like lighting *long* before putting it into products. The diff in price between a single/double head light isn`t much in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I was thinking about it a little more today and just thought the same thing you did. that duh its just only 10 more dollars....and pretty much if it saves me headache then its worth it. so, sorry for the post don`t know what I was really thinking. :doh

While we`re on the subject, I looked at the Craftsman halogens ( WL500DPT-T) BigAl3 listed in the second post...and I looked at model number WL500DPT-S as well, but don`t really know why the PT-T costs ten more dollars? They look exactly the same to me...is it just that the PT-T comes with halogen lights and the other one does not? I`m kindof confused here to what extra features it has besides an extra 3 ft of cord, an extra bulb, and standing 2 inches taller. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    99GrandAM- Yeah, it can be tough to see what the extra $ buys you...some of the Sears lights *do* seem mighty similar. Just make sure you`re getting the wattage you want and that the stands are to your liking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alrighty, thanks!

Thread Information