Post Thanks / Like
    We are having alot of work done on our house, new playroom, new bedroom and a new full bath. We are using most of our current garage to do this.

My awesome wife has offered to have a 1 car garage built just for me and me stuff.

I only take care of my 2 vehicles and occasionaly the in-laws.

What would you recommend to make it a detailers paradise?

-outlet power and locations, I`d like to be able to run an electric heater in the winter while I`m running the UDM and not worry about blowing fuses.

-outlet locations..

-lights, halogens maybe?? Could I have halogens installed on the side walls?

Anything you can think of will be appreciated!

I`m not looking to break the bank, just a simple garage with a smart layout.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sloped and sealed floor with a sink in the corner! And speakers for music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything previously mentioned + PLENTY of extra width and depth for cupboards and working space.

Post Thanks / Like
    BRODEY1- Hey, lucky you!

Halogens on the wall wouldn`t be a good idea IMO because of the heat. And being able to position them *right* where you want `em is important. Fluorescents on the wall, OTOH, are great for general purpose illumination (lousy for swirl spotting though).

I`d get some fluorescents on the walls and on the ceiling. I`d also have either metal halide (pricey) or regular bare-bulb incandescnets on the ceiling. These would be great for spotting marring.

Get more separate circuits than the electrician thinks you need Some things like extractors need two separte circuits for just one device.

And get a floor drain. Your local code will dictate what you have to do for this. I have an oil separator on mine just like in a commercial shop.

And yeah, a utility sink is very handy! IF there`s room, I`d get a water heater and just run cold water from your main feed.

Post Thanks / Like
    If in the budget, plan enough vertical clearance, power and support for a lift.

Good luck!

John Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! great suggestions, can`t wait to see the look on the builders face when I given him specs like these.

Blain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRODEY1
    Thanks guys! great suggestions, can`t wait to see the look on the builders face when I given him specs like these.

Blain

Heh heh, I had to find another builder

Watch `em like a hawk! Some things didn`t go the way they were supposed to and in a few instances I simply had to live with it (and I`m still grumbling about it eight years later).

IMO the real biggies are the lighting and the floor drain. For the drain, I *really* prefer a "trench" style drain instead of a regular hole-in-the-floor.

Oh, and give some thought to the door(s). I ended up going with roll-up doors and I really like `em.

Thread Information