Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the scoop: I`m starting from ground from zero. I have no stands or jack and, due to upcoming relocations and unknown storage space, I`m not looking to sink a ton of money into tools. They have a habit of disappearing during moves. Any recommendations on safe and affordable jack stands and floor jack for parking lot use - if there is such a thing?

Are Autozone or Craftsman worth checking out? Sears offers a 3 ton stands-and-jack package for $140 (on sale at $99 right now). More lifting capacity than I need (~ 3600 lbs) but safety overkill works for me. Autozone has a kit for around $60 rated for 2 tons.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to read the reviews on the Sears website for the Craftsmen models. Some of them are junk.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Pay a visit to a larger Sears store or a Sears Tool Store. They have some very decent jack/jack stand combos.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an aluminum "race" jack (I can`t remember the brand). Three pumps to the top and its relatively light for a 3-ton jack. Its great and you wont kill yourself lugging it around.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both a Craftsman and an AC Hydraulics floor jack.

Not a big fan of the aluminum jacks, the AC Hydraulics jack is steel and is fairly light as well as low profile...

Post Thanks / Like
    best bang for the buck check and see if sam`s club still sells the Michelin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjstaaf
    Not a big fan of the aluminum jacks

What dont you like about the aluminum jacks?
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Some features I think are important (in case you hadn`t thought of these...)

Minimum height -- how low will it go? Important it you want to jack up a low vehicle.

Maximum height -- how high will it go? Important if you want to jack up a higher vehicle, such as a pickup truck and some SUVs.

Repair -- usually not an issue as jacks are fairly reliable. But it does break, can you get parts or get it repaired? This may be an issue with some of the units from discount stores.

Pad -- some jacks I have seen have a pad that could cause damage to the undercarriage. If you want to try to minimize damage, then you may want to look for a jack that has a pad that suits your needs. Same thing goes for jack stands.

Storage -- some jacks have easily removable handles to ease storage. If this is a concern, you may want to look for one that has this feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28

Concur, have that one too, works great, even have the chrome "Goodyear" jack stands too. (both from Sams)

Keep in mind, most of these products are NOT high end professional items (made in china or somehwere else!) but for most of us work great and as always BE SAFE in whatever you do!
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel77
    Here`s the scoop: I`m starting from ground from zero. I have no stands or jack and, due to upcoming relocations and unknown storage space, I`m not looking to sink a ton of money into tools. They have a habit of disappearing during moves. Any recommendations on safe and affordable jack stands and floor jack for parking lot use - if there is such a thing?

Are Autozone or Craftsman worth checking out? Sears offers a 3 ton stands-and-jack package for $140 (on sale at $99 right now). More lifting capacity than I need (~ 3600 lbs) but safety overkill works for me. Autozone has a kit for around $60 rated for 2 tons.

Thanks!

Here`s a good Craftsman Kit that I recommend. I bought this Kit this past X-Mas and am very glad I did. It`s not expensive, and is a great overall kit that should pretty much cover your needs.

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set - Model 50188 at Sears.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero
    Make sure to read the reviews on the Sears website for the Craftsmen models. Some of them are junk.

Did so. That`s why I`m leaning to their 3 ton instead of the 2 ton. Very good to Excellent reviews for the 3T. Really wide spectrum for the 2T so it`s out.

Too bad Autozone doesn`t offer more product info and reviews on their site. That screams "Come in so we can sell you!" I don`t mind visiting stores onceI`ve narrowed down the options but I`d rather do most of the groundwork online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28

Thanks. Hadn`t thought of Sam`s. Time to sniff around online...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris9982
    Some features I think are important (in case you hadn`t thought of these...)

Minimum height -- how low will it go? Important it you want to jack up a low vehicle.

Maximum height -- how high will it go? Important if you want to jack up a higher vehicle, such as a pickup truck and some SUVs.

Repair -- usually not an issue as jacks are fairly reliable. But it does break, can you get parts or get it repaired? This may be an issue with some of the units from discount stores.

Pad -- some jacks I have seen have a pad that could cause damage to the undercarriage. If you want to try to minimize damage, then you may want to look for a jack that has a pad that suits your needs. Same thing goes for jack stands.

Storage -- some jacks have easily removable handles to ease storage. If this is a concern, you may want to look for one that has this feature.

All good points. I`ve got a 99 Avalon and 00 Lincoln LS so it looks like most jacks can handle the need.

Removable handle to ease storage - thanks for raising and something for which I`ll watch.

Repair - I was surprised to see Sears only offering a one-year warranty on the Craftsman products - even their "Professional" line. Guess quality control is diminishing rapidly as they manufacture overseas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PWORLDSTANG
    Here`s a good Craftsman Kit that I recommend. I bought this Kit this past X-Mas and am very glad I did. It`s not expensive, and is a great overall kit that should pretty much cover your needs.

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set - Model 50188 at Sears.com

Just the one I was considering. Thanks for the personal review!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel77
    Did so. That`s why I`m leaning to their 3 ton instead of the 2 ton. Very good to Excellent reviews for the 3T. Really wide spectrum for the 2T so it`s out.

Too bad Autozone doesn`t offer more product info and reviews on their site. That screams "Come in so we can sell you!" I don`t mind visiting stores onceI`ve narrowed down the options but I`d rather do most of the groundwork online.

I bought a Craftsmen a few years ago and it works great. Not sure what model, I think it`s a 2-1/4 ton. I wanted to upgrade to the nicer one but after reading the reviews changed my mind. I still keep my eyes open for a nicer floor jack that doesn`t cost a fortune. Some at Harbor Freight don`t look all that bad but you would probably never be able to find parts for them. I never go under without jack stands anyway.
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information