Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I realize a UOA is not the end all to how well an oil performs but it`s a darn good indicator. Penz Plat is outperforming the vast majority of the others in that respect and I`m an M1 user.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a quote I read on BITOG and was echoed by another. I`ve been reading that site so long my head`s spinning! Many really liked Pennzoil regular oil, saying it had improved alot as of late. Lots of Amsoil, Mobil 1 and synthetic fans there too.

"Buy the best priced oil you can get that has API SM on it, game over."

API Motor Oil Service Classifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I`m misunderstanding something over at BITOG, but I thought the SM standard requires lower levels of anti-wear additives to protect catalytic converters compared to SL? My primary concern is engine wear, as my lower mileage car has 175K on it and sees 6000 rpm regularly.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kpounds
    Here`s a quote I read on BITOG and was echoed by another. I`ve been reading that site so long my head`s spinning!

"Buy the best priced oil you can get that has API SM on it, game over."

Yeah, that place makes my head hurt, too.

Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    Maybe I`m misunderstanding something over at BITOG, but I thought the SM standard requires lower levels of anti-wear additives to protect catalytic converters compared to SL?

I haven`t been at BITOG much lately (see above), but last I read, the issue is that SM required lower levels of traditional anti-wear additives, the jury was still out as to whether the alternative anti-wear additives work as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I`m misunderstanding something over at BITOG, but I thought the SM standard requires lower levels of anti-wear additives to protect catalytic converters compared to SL?

It could be sir, I`m not an expert at this. I wouldn`t change anything if you`re seriously concerned about engine wear. I`d probably post at BITOG and ask what oil they`d recommend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Yeah, that place makes my head hurt, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kpounds
    It could be sir, I`m not an expert at this. I wouldn`t change anything if you`re seriously concerned about engine wear. I`d probably post at BITOG and ask what oil they`d recommend.

Tried that and got a lot of different answers. There is an overabundence of information there. That`s preferable to not enough, but can be quite confusing. Since I broke a timing chain last August, and found scuffed bearings and varnish in the engine using an SM oil (M1 0W40, which is recommended by VW) for 50K leading up to that, I do want to change something. For now I`m thinking M1 5W40 TDT, maybe changing to GC for winter. I`ll let oil analysis be my guide, and let others run SM until the jury reaches a verdict.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    If price is no object Amsoil and Royal Purple, good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol777
    If price is no object Amsoil and Royal Purple, good stuff.
    As far as I`m concerned for my vehicles, price is no object when it comes to keeping them running strong and looking great. I never go cheap when it comes to maintaining my vehicles.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take BITOG data with a house size grain of salt..Too much pimping of products.

But, I will take my 12,000 mile drains using Amsoil 0w-20 and my mint UOA`s..I tried others and not even close in TAN, TBN, wears and OXD/NOX...

Post Thanks / Like
    Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, whichever happens to be lower-priced at Wally World. Both will do the job for just about any driving conditions.
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I use Mobil 1 because I like to pay full synthetic price for an oil that`s not really really a full synthetic anymore.

Rofl. Me too. Just noticed this thread.

Mobil 1 contemplating the switch to Amsoil. Thinking about Eneos too..

Post Thanks / Like
    Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in winter and 5W-30 in summer. I am not sure why I use Castrol; no other better oils available locally I guess.

DG G35 Coupe -> 19s PIAA Super Rozza

Bats Overlays, 35% tint, Kuruma Z front Bumper Coming Soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    German Castrol synthetic 0W-30. Best oil available OTC in North America.

Post Thanks / Like
    royal purple for my baby

i gained 1-2mpg !

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Amsoil full-synthetic oils. Use Amsoil in all my cars in the past 8 years. They were the #1 Full Synthetic oil to come out first and still going strong.
    Check out my website.

www.spalisautodetailing.com

I love feedback.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information