Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was running Mobil 1 until I found out they had switched to group III. I still think it`s the best oil for the price and you should use nothing less. However, I`ve switched to Royal Purple to see how that works out, I`ll be find out on the next oil change. I put 10w40 in my Stealth and 10w30 in the GTC. The transmission in the Stealth is going to get SyncroMax while I`m just going to use straight 10w30 in the GTCs transmission. The t-case and the rear gearbox are getting MaxGear. As for filter, anything but Fram, but I tend to stick with Mobil 1 or K&N filters.

Post Thanks / Like
    As per dealer recommendations, Mobil 1 5w30 Super Syn every 5k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I use Mobil 1 because I like to pay full synthetic price for an oil that`s not really really a full synthetic anymore.

Haha, I do the same thing. Im going to switch to Valvoline syn on the next oil change.

This, however, is full syn:

2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Royal Purple 10w-30

Post Thanks / Like
    Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic in my 95 Vette, and I let the Toyota dealership worry about what goes in my 04 4Runner, I know it`s a conventional oil. I don`t see the need to run a synthetic in an engine that doesn`t call for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Royal Purple 20W-50 , it is the best oil i`ve tried ....

saludos

Post Thanks / Like
    X3 for AMSOIL OIL! But every now then I use Royal Purple or Mobil 1 if I can`t make the trip to the nearest Amsoil distributor.
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m about to try Elf Excellium 5w30 unless someone has something bad to say about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the post from Manicrodder

I also use RLI BioSyn 5W-30 vegetable oil in my GS400. I do a lot of stop and go driving and this oil is remarkable at reducing fuel dilution. If you do any oil analysis you will find this oil to be pretty much remarkable in every respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper34
    I know mobil 1 just came out with a new 0w something synthetic, it`s got a green cap and being marketed as a their new fuel saving oil. I saw it at wal-mart tonight. don`t if that`s the one you mean or not but they got a butt ton of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Well...back some years ago Mobil realized that their standard M1 (full synthetic) would meet the 0W spec in most of their grades, and thought that it might give them a marketing edge when Castrol was allowed to label their Syntec as a synthetic, even though it was technically a different chemistry than the M1. I remember talking to M1 tech support on the phone (can you even still do that?) and they told me they were going to phase out all the 5W and 10W oils because the 0W encompassed the spec of those oils, and they were going to market it on the improved cold start up and fuel economy, yada yada.

The public didn`t understand and was frightened by the 0W designation and it was a flop, so I guess they decided if they couldn`t beat Castrol they would join them. The BITOG guys can explain it...I think M1 used to be a Grp. IV, now it`s a Grp. III, like the Syntec, or something like that.

But anyway, the 0W`s aren`t new, they had 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40. When they went SM they dropped the 0W-20 for a while, but it`s back, that may be the green cap one you saw.

Ha ha, I just saw an ad for the new green-cap, M1 AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy) oil. When we first discussed this (above) the M1 site said nothing about it, but after seeing the newspaper ad, I went back to the M1 site and the 0W-20 and -30 are now "AFE", so I guess Mobil finally found a marketing angle that might work for the 0W`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    well good at least I`m not crazy then.:woot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Motorcraft 10w30 for the mustang and 5w20 for the Fusion UOA look good for the mustang and the Fusion will get one after the next oil change.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XR5Turbo
    I`m about to try Elf Excellium 5w30 unless someone has something bad to say about it.

IMO, ELF (now TOTAL) offers great oils. Just make sure you end up with the product that meets the requirements of your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon
    I was running Mobil 1 until I found out they had switched to group III. I still think it`s the best oil for the price and you should use nothing less.

This myth just won`t die! M1 has never been proven to be a group III oil. If enough people repeat something even when it is not correct many will join the bandwagon and blindly follow.

As a side note many of the Group III oils outperform the group IV oils, Penz Platinum comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    This myth just won`t die! M1 has never been proven to be a group III oil. I If enough people repeat something even when it is not correct many will join the bandwagon and blindly follow.

As a side note many of the Group III oils outperform the group IV oils, Penz Platinum comes to mind.

What are you basing the PP outpeforming grp IV claim on? UOA at BITOG?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information