Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Castrol synthetic, done by the dealer because its free of charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjstaaf
    Fact is if you are doing 3K-5K oil changes ALL of this discussion isn`t worth @#$@# because any cheap conventional oil WalMart happens to have on sale will go to 5K easily.

I`m not convinced this is true. I`d been using Mobil 1 products for years, with excellent results. My old Pathfinder had 215K on it when I traded it, and was clean as a whistle inside. Compression, power and economy were the same as the day I got it (at 68K). Both my current cars have over 174K on them, and I`ve used M1 exclusively with 10K oil change intervals until recently. Both engines are varnished up inside. I broke a timing chain at 164K in my VW. That`s what got me looking at BITOG. I did an Auto-RX treatment using Rotella T 5W40, but now I`m experimenting with different oils and sending samples to Blackstone. The more I read BITOG the more confused I get; it`s information overload I`m afraid.

I think the engines in my garage today are harder on oil than what I`d owned in the past. Some of the new direct injection engines are much tougher still. My VW sees 6000 rpm every day. It will take a lot of oil analysis before I`m comfortable exceeding 5K OCI with a synthetic.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiauguinho
    Redline oil all the way!

from everything I`ve read and heard redline is t*t`s all-around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    I did an Auto-RX treatment using Rotella T 5W40

do you like the rotella? thats what I`ll be switching to.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^Love Rotella T 5W40, that and Penzoil Platinum are my go too`s for my two cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    the consensus on the jeep forums is it pretty much the best for the 4.0 so I have high hopes. I was just looking around on the shell forums and it seems they have a new version out but the only thing changed is it no longer carries an sj rating and not for use with 07` up diesel`s because it has more zinc and phosphorous than the new certification allows. which is still great for the jeep:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    The general consensus at BITOG is that there is no "bad" API SM oil for regular use (no super high/low operation, racing, etc). The specs require a good oil. It is just about personal brand preference. Every brand has loyal and satisfied users.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    The general consensus at BITOG is that there is no "bad" API SM oil for regular use (no super high/low operation, racing, etc). The specs require a good oil. It is just about personal brand preference. Every brand has loyal and satisfied users.

couldn`t agree more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also run Mobil 1 Racing oil
    Where do you find that? This may be good for my IT car but I have never come across M1 labelled as racing oil.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper34
    do you like the rotella? thats what I`ll be switching to.
    I`ve heard a lot of good things about it but so far I`ve only used it for Auto-RX treatments. I have a sample from the rinse phase of my VW but haven`t sent it to Blackstone yet. I`m not sure there`s a point, with all the dirt that should have rinsed out.

I have been running Mobil 1 in my vehicles for 20 years with great results backed up by many years of used oil analysis. The Mustang has never seen anything but Mobil 1 and she is still purring like a kitten at 105K...
    I, too, have had great luck with M1 in the past. Both my current (road going) engines are all varnished up now on M1 0W40. At a minimum I`m reducing OCIs but probably changing oil, just haven`t decided yet. Possibly German Castrol in the winter and M1 TDT in the summer. At 105K your Mustang is a low mileage car.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    Where do you find that? This may be good for my IT car but I have never come across M1 labelled as racing oil.

Mobil has a bad habit of discontinuing great products like Mobil 1R and their Synthetic Spray lube. It has been discontinued for quite some time but I was getting it from AV Lubricants-Your ExxonMobil Oil Distributor! but they have run out of stock and I cannot find it anywhere else

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have RLI Biosyn(vegetable oil) in my SRT8. All my driving is in town and it shows great resistance to fuel dilution in analysys on BITOG and other forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use BMW full synthetic 5w30. I have used this for 8 years in all my cars. Why? I get it CHEAP lol and it workds great. It is just rebottled Castrol of Germany oil. If I had to pay full price for oil I would probably still use this or try Royal Purple

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I use Mobil 1 because I like to pay full synthetic price for an oil that`s not really really a full synthetic anymore.

Setec do you experience any oil burnoff with it in the rsx? All I do see is posts on crsx with people getting terrible oil burnoff with M1 on their rsx.

I`ve been using Mobil Clean 5000, and it seems fine to me. Autozone usually has good deals on it 5 quarts + oil filter for about $10-12. I really don`t think my driving habits and mileage warrants a synthetic oil. As long as I change it out every 6 months I think I`m OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Johnny, last crankcase full was mostly 0W-20 SL that I had bought up when they discontinued it, with a quart of 5W-20 SM. I was 2/3 of a qt. down when I changed it at 5K.

In the old days my GM`s used to burn about a half quart of 5W-30 every 3000 miles.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I`ve just recently gotten so anal I started writing down the oil level at the time I change it (if I remember) on all the cars I do, just so I can monitor any changes in consumption and/or predict when oil will need to be added. Must be the extra time I have from not going to nightclubs anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to run Castrol GTX for a long time, but now I only use Mobil1, even though it`s been getting a bad rap lately. I have been thinking about going to Syntec or Penzoil Platinum.
    -Matt

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information