Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mobil1 5w-30 in my Maxima, 6000-6500 mile interval between changes.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, what happened to the Royal Purple?

Post Thanks / Like
    Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Amsoil here....long change intervals and the car runs smoother and quieter on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use German Catrol 0w30 because the German Castrol is leaps and bounds ahead of the US stuff and the Mobil 1 5w30 is a thin 30weight and tends to shear back fairly quickly. My car tending to naturally burn oil in VTEC means I definately don`t want an oil on the thin side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll add that for anybody looking to learn more about oil, visit the BobIsTheOilGuy.com forum. Lots of great info (& debate, sometimes heated) about oil and all things maintenance for your vehicle.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, based on what I read at BITOG, I was a long time M1 user but just changed to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 a lil cheaper too at W/M and Pepboys had 5qts with a filter for $19.99 not too long ago.
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Same here cajun. I had good luck with M1, but after reading the latest rumors of formulation changes, continued high prices, and seeing un-inspiring UOA`s I couldn`t justify using it anymore. Especially, considering Platinum was so much cheaper and was showing outstanding UOA`s.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are planning on extended drain intervals Penzoil Platinum is turning in a superb showing and is available everywhere. If not then Motorcraft is the way to go.

I use Mobil 1 API SL 0W20 because I bought a ton of it prior to the formulation change to SM. 7500 mile intervals or annually depending on which occurs first. It is suspected (but not proven) that the current M1 SM oil is no longer a "true" synthetic in the strictist terms.

Why synthetic? I believe it works better for me and use it in all equipment including lawnmower and 2 stroke synth for the weedeater & blower.

BITOG member #409

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    I`ve been using Penzoil Platinum synthetic 5w20 in my `05 Mazda3 for the past couple years. I run it 7500K between changes. After my 2nd 7500K run, I sent it in for a UOA. It came back flawless and showed that I could have run it out longer. Platinum, IMO, is the best bang for the buck synthetic oil out there...or, it used to be. I stocked up with 60+ quarts a couple years ago when they had crazy deals ($1.99/qt.).

For my leased Tacoma, I use Motorcraft 5w20 and change it every 5K. MC is a rock solid oil.

Its quotes like this why I decided I`m going to switch to Penzoil Platinum. I`m going to get a UOA done on the M1 I`m running now, then again after Penzoil and see how they compare. I haven`t had problems with M1 mind you but it is a little on the thin side, and if I can get less engine wear with another oil then thats the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    2KLS1 - I`d suggest doing your Platinum UOA after your 2nd run of that oil. That will decrease the chance of "left over" M1 being in the sample. Good luck w/it!
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not one to discourage used oil analysis but there is little value in trying to compare one oil to another based on a single used oil analysis of each for judging wear. Used oil analysis is best used over time and multiple reports to see trends. A single report doesn`t really mean anything and most likely you will not see much of a difference between the two oils if you are doing typical 3K to 5K oil change intervals as even the cheapest conventional these days should not have any problems lasting that long.

Personally I don`t run regular Mobil 1 (Red Cap) myself since API went to SM as it calls for huge reductions in zinc and phosphorus which are the primary anti-wear additives in just about every oil out there. Evidently zinc and phosphorus can build up and clog catalytic converters in engines that burn oil.

I run Mobil 1 Extended Performance (Gold Cap) which has the old levels of zinc and phosphorus. I also run Mobil 1 Racing oil which also has higher levels of anti-wear additives. Neither wears the API badge but they meet every other test in the API certification.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not one to discourage used oil analysis but there is little value in trying to compare one oil to another based on a single used oil analysis of each for judging wear. Used oil analysis is best used over time and multiple reports to see trends. A single report doesn`t really mean anything and most likely you will not see much of a difference between the two oils if you are doing typical 3K to 5K oil change intervals as even the cheapest conventional these days should not have any problems lasting that long.

Personally I don`t run regular Mobil 1 (Red Cap) myself since API went to SM as it calls for huge reductions in zinc and phosphorus which are some of the primary anti-wear additives in just about every oil out there. Evidently zinc and phosphorus can build up and clog catalytic converters in engines that burn oil. Any oil that wears the API SM badge has the lower levels of zinc and phosphorus.

I run Mobil 1 Extended Performance (Gold Cap) which has the old levels of zinc and phosphorus. I also run Mobil 1 Racing oil which also has higher levels of anti-wear additives. Neither wears the API badge but they meet every other test in the API certification.

For you BITOG fans I am sure there are plenty of threads on API SM but if you are not a member just do a Google search for "API SM" and maybe throw in "zinc phosphorus".

Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don`t run regular Mobil 1 (Red Cap) myself since API went to SM as it calls for huge reductions in zinc and phosphorus which are some of the primary anti-wear additives in just about every oil out there. Evidently zinc and phosphorus can build up and clog catalytic converters in engines that burn oil. Any oil that wears the API SM badge has the lower levels of zinc and phosphorus.

For you BITOG fans I am sure there are plenty of threads on API SM but if you are not a member just do a Google search for "API SM" and maybe throw in "zinc phosphorus".

Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Post Thanks / Like
    Motorcraft 5W-20 for me also!
    K3AKE 147.555

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information