Post Thanks / Like
    So, I`ve realized that lighting is key to a perfect detail, paint-wise. Right now i`m running 15000 watt halogens and one 100w light bulb on the ceiling. this setup sucks cuz i have to constantly back the car in and out of the garage, turn it around to get the other side of the car, etc., etc. And i have a fear of, when doing the roof of the car, that the halogens are going to fall on it!

What is the best lighting setup? I would love to have those big dome-like flourescents like dealerships have in their bays, but I need natural light too. Halogens are great at spotting swirls and scratches, but I always have to bring whatever car I`m working on into the sun to spot holograms and i think the halo`s are a bit cumbersome. Is there any way I can bring the sun into my garage? figureatively speaking of course. I was also thinking of painting my walls white to help reflect light better.

I have a two-door garage, and work out of the right side of it. if you guys want pics of my garage i`ll get some.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never been able to see light holograms in anything except natural sunlight (and I`ve tried a lot of different light sources). E.g., the "natural spectrum sun guns" don`t work for me. IIRC Mike Phillips tried a bunch of different things (with Meguiar`s footing the bill I presume ) and also decided that natural sunlight is in a league by itself with regard to spotting light holograms.

For regular, light marring, you know how your ceiling-mounted incandescent works so well? I dunno if you`ll ever find anything that works better. I have a hand-held incandescent that I use, but sometimes I still miss something that shows up under the ceiling-mounted ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t even mess with anything but Metal Halides. We have 1000 watters all over my shop in all different light spectrums. You can see everything in the shop.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailjohn
    Don`t even mess with anything but Metal Halides. We have 1000 watters all over my shop in all different light spectrums. You can see everything in the shop.

John
    I agree totally.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s good to know that the metal halides work so well. I`ve toyed with the idea of adding some to my current shop, but the work involved has always left me :think: as I`d hate to go through that only to *not* be happy with them.

If I were building the shop *today*....oh well, coulda/woulda/shoulda....

Thread Information