Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i am getting all the scimatics laid out in my head right now for my detailing garage for my house. I am planning on doing a mobile business with winter and some cars done at my house. This part of the garage is going to be GREAT. Heated and cooled. Im hoping custom cabinets (probably some made by me). Product storage, desk in the back. 1.5 car capabilities for extra room for detailing... i cant wait!

Im working out some plans though and i cant seem to find the BEST flooring. I thought about just staining the concrete which would be kindof cool cus i could put my logo in it, but then realized the regular white epoxy flooring would be neat also... there are soo many possibilities and im trying to get the best. WHat is your favorite. I think the smooth epoxy would be good on knees.

Whats yalls opinions?
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`d use VCT personally. Would create a really smooth surface all around which would be good if you use a rolling chair for polishing the sides (I do this). It would also be easy cleanup and with a couple of coats of urethane/laquer (whatever they use), it would be really glossy and easy maintenance. Plus, I don`t think it would be too hard to install yourself if you wanted to save a few bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you asked only in regards to detailing but keep in mind if you ever get into metal working and welding you`ll want to have an area with bare concrete since the slag will wreak havoc on any flooring. Just a thought..

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say concrete with a drain. If the local laws allow it, being able to wash inside is a real nice touch.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can have a drain if you add a grease trap, and they have a texture they can add to concrete that still looks nice but adds traction. Also, stained concrete looks kick a$$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Line-X the floor! :lol I would if I had the chance! But for now, when detailing at home I have Rustoleum epoxy with flake and it does very well, even with chemicals I`ve spilled on it...but it is rather slickery when wet! I have to make sure not to fall and bust my ***!
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m moving into a new house (for me anyway) and i`ve got the same dilemma. i`m leaning toward two 10`x22` mats with a coin pattern 85 mils thick, goes for just under $1000. i think install would be a breeze and would look nice as well as funtion well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im thinking epoxy, or stained right now. This garage would ONLY be used for detailing and car storage for my personal car every night. This "wing" of the garage would be added onto our pretty large garage already that is concrete.

As for the drain, there are a couple problems i plan on by passing. My house isnt hooked up to the sewer system, we have it drain under ground in backyard so it is a little hard. Since we have to take up the whole thing anyway we are just going to put a drain that goes directly behind the garage. This is illegal but we can just tell the inspector that we dont like water collecting on the floor. Theres gotta be a way around it.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of doubt that your sewage simply "drain(s) under ground in backyard"...I find it a bit more likely that that you have a septic system...perhaps you can hook your garage drain into that. And I`m sure the inspector has heard the story before about how the drain doesn`t really go anywhere...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I kind of doubt that your sewage simply "drain(s) under ground in backyard"...I find it a bit more likely that that you have a septic system...perhaps you can hook your garage drain into that. And I`m sure the inspector has heard the story before about how the drain doesn`t really go anywhere...

we have a septic tank yes, but i know that all the cleaner water (sink, shower) go to the back yard. To be honest, i am not completely sure how it all works, i just know that we are not hooked to the sewer system and it would take WAYY too much to put a drain in legally. And ide bet he has also. We would show him exactly where it would come out. Ide just say it is just for when we pull our car in while its raining we do not have to deal with any water pooling.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I`ve never heard of a house with separate drain plumbing for the sinks and showers from the toilets. What do you call that...you have sanitary lines for the toilet, and gray water lines for the sinks and showers? Sounds to me like all that extra plumbing and keeping it all straight would be more expensive than just having a properly sized septic system, but then again, you do live in one of those affluent areas where people would pay more to run their gray water somewhere other than the septic system.

Post Thanks / Like
    some people re-use the gray water for non-potable purposes like watering the lawn or landscaping. it`s a conservation effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by admac
    some people re-use the gray water for non-potable purposes like watering the lawn or landscaping. it`s a conservation effort.

We do not.

Again, im not possitive how it works. me and my father have a 13 hour car ride to FL today so ile ask him and have an answer for you tomorrow.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    Im thinking epoxy, or stained right now. This garage would ONLY be used for detailing and car storage for my personal car every night. This "wing" of the garage would be added onto our pretty large garage already that is concrete.

As for the drain, there are a couple problems i plan on by passing. My house isnt hooked up to the sewer system, we have it drain under ground in backyard so it is a little hard. Since we have to take up the whole thing anyway we are just going to put a drain that goes directly behind the garage. This is illegal but we can just tell the inspector that we dont like water collecting on the floor. Theres gotta be a way around it.
    If you do epoxy, I can`t stress enough how important the first step of stripping/cleaning the floor prior to application is. If you don`t do it properly, the epoxy will peel up. Usually, the only time I`ve seen a problem in the 7 garage my father and I have done is when the concrete was sealed already. If it is, the acid cleaner won`t do enough. You will have to purchase some concrete etch to remove most/all the sealant, then use the acid cleaner, then apply.

As for the drain, yes, the EPA sucks sometimes, but now with my floor epoxied and smooth, I just spray with a hose or PW and use a 24" squeegee to wipe dry.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by admac

I`m familiar with the technique, having lived through two periods of water rationing. I`m just not familiar with building a house with two sets of drain plumbing to facilitate that or to relieve the load on a septic system (in which the aforementioned "draining it under the back yard" would not be considered a conservation method).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information