Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage has been used for storage over the years about 20 years since the house was built. Anyway my garage is somewhere around 14/16 by 20/22 feet excluding laundry area. The only room I have is a 1` path to open garage door and another 1` path to get to electrical box.

How do I go about Cleaning this up? about 50-60% or maybe more could be thrown away.

I am looking for cheap storage racks hangers thing to make more room on the floor.

Any help will be appreciated, want to get most of it done before the freezing cold comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good garage info here.......

The Garage Journal

Post Thanks / Like
    When I cleaned my garage, I starting by building a shed in my back yard. The lawn

mower, snow blower, and large items were placed there. Non season stuff such as snow shovels in the shed and rotated back in garage during needed season. Items needing throwing were put in the garbage and things which were useful were donated to Good Will. I purchased storage cabinets from Home Depot and placed along front and one side. The other side got shelves for shoes and hooks for brooms, etc. Bikes were hung upside from the ceiling. I finished the floor with epoxy paint. It is only a 2-car garage and gets messy very quick. I try to clean up twice a year (just before winter and gain in the spring). I will try to take some pictures and post.

Post Thanks / Like
    30 yard dumpster.LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking maybe add 3 gorilla racks from the depot. There are two old bikes, I"ll put them out garbage day they will be taken right away, because I live in a busy city. My 3snowboards Hand on the wall, call my brother up after I make him a nice pile!, call my sister after I make her a nice pile. 86 the rest in a Uhaul down to the dump.

I need to store laundry stuff, toiletries, tools, maybe some books, Christmas stuff (about 10 boxes) and about three big tubs of detail stuff each one my need a rack, depending on if I could consolidate some Christmas stuff on the already build shelving

I really feel like getting a dumpster! but my brother has 5 speed tranny and some part laying around for his 69 chevelle

My goals are to split the garage in half and do one side at a time. I want everything off the floor. Except the washer and dryer. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    if you plan to due work in it, get every thing out ,,,skip the racks ,,it could be a problem ,,something could fall on a car

Post Thanks / Like
    Just start cleaning. After a while everything should come on the right place...

Post Thanks / Like
    I started cleaning a few days ago and made quite a bit of room. I tossed alot of stuff. Today I will try to do another section.

Red4.8, Thats what I feel like doing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red4.8
    30 yard dumpster.LOL

I was waiting for someone to suggest a gas can and a match! :har:

Post Thanks / Like
    Could I use a hand boy, got rid of more stuff and made a few sections for my bro and sis to go though and clean up. Things are looking better, although its still a mess.

I know home depot has those gorilla racks and some others that are a bit larger. I have a closet section half is washer and dryer, the other half I want to use for storage.

I could easily fit a shelving unit that is 6`L x 3`W, this would utilize the space best!

does anyone know where I could find an inexpensive unit this large?

I have no time to go home depot buy 2x4`s and plywood and start cutting.

any suggestion would be great! Thanks again, Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got some Gorilla Racks that I bought at Sam`s Club awhile back. Don`t know if they still ave them, but they were much more heavy duty than the ones that they carried at Home Depot at the time.(Haven`t looked at HD lately, they may have the same ones now, don`t know)

Anyway, these are 6` long X 2` deep. 3 shelves. Fully adjustble. Nice polished steel finish. They hold a truckload of stuff. I don`t know where you`d look for something 3` deep. You might have to find some commercial/industrial stuff like they`d use in a warehouse.

Post Thanks / Like
    cheapshot- Sounds like you`re making progress :xyxthumbs

I too was gonna mention a dumpster but I worried that I`d sound like too much of a smart @$$ Whenever I`ve had a dumpster around, I always found a lot of stuff that I could do without and never miss.

For the racks/shelving, you might consider heavy-duty plastic ones (RubberMaid, etc.). They`d be on the floor, but still...

If you need something deeper than those shelves you could alway just have them two-deep.

I like plastic shelving more than metal because I can just hose/pressurewash them as necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulater, I am making some progress, slowly but surely.

I`ve learned so much from you Accumulater here at autopia. You have always been such a big help. Thanks a bunch, Ed

I was thinking about getting 2 gorilla racks. (5`L x 16"W)

If I grab some hardware, I should be able to bold them together. Giving me a (5`L x 32"W) or if the shelving is 18" then it would give me a nice 5` x 3` shelf, which would be perfect!

I may swing down to depot and check the shelving out tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 13306

Attachment 13307

Attachment 13308Install cabinets & organize:xyxthumbs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased a nice rack I believe it`s 77"Wx24"Dx72H. It has 3 shelves, it`s heavy duty and good quality. it was $125, didn`t want to spend it, I had to build it in the closet, Only way it was going in. I have it half loaded, and things are look much better.

After it is all cleaned up. I have some taping, spackling, sanding, priming and painting to do, as it was never finished. I will power wash the concrete floor, and buy some flooring tiles at Loews. most of the finishing work will probably be done during the spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information