Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heat!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently installed the same on Morris9982 has. My existing garage is only 20x20 and this heater works great.

These days, with the price of gas, propane, etc...electric is again the cheapest way to heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever use those portable Kerosene heaters anymore? You can get a 23000 btu unit for around $125.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least for me, electric was the way to go. Kerosene is not a good idea in a closed area. I also wanted my heater run unattended to maintain..let`s say...55..when I am not out there. I want to avoid moving all my stuff. I also have a Spotless system installed, a pressure washer hose reel, etc...that I don;t want to freeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mobenzowner
    Anyone ever use those portable Kerosene heaters anymore? You can get a 23000 btu unit for around $125.

I had one years ago and it did heat well, but i didn`t like the smell. Maybe they are better now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know kerosene gets bad press, but when my daughter went through the ice storm last year in Springfield, MO the people with electric heat was down for around 10 days. If you had gas or wood stoves you were okay, but for those that didnt kerosene was a life-saver. I have never used kerosene but think I might pick one up for just such an occasion, and it would be nice to heat my own personal garage where I clean my own cars. Kind of "kill 2 birds with 1 stone (sorry peta lol)".

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I am building a house but we are using an LP gas powered heater...my father in law gets the gas for free from work and it keeps the garage VERY warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Hot Dawg Modine heater mounted on the ceiling.It`s vented and works awesome! It`s 60`000 btu heater and heats my 2 and a half car garage up very efficiently. All walls including ceiling and garage door are insulated. When it`s 2 degrees outside here in WI I`m in a t-shirt and shorts detailing my car and making my neighbors jealous. I put the Modine heater in back in June. It seemed pointless to heat my garage at the time because it was 80 degrees out, but now it is worth every drip of sweat I put into installing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a wood burning stove in my basement that heats 1/2 our house and is attached to the garage, so i close the door going upstairs and open the door to the garage, and it is 60-70 degrees in the garage within a matter of an hr or so

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleenfan
    IM sitting here looking at you all complaining about 30 degree weather and laughing.

Im living In Grand forks ND now and it is currently -1 feels like -5 (weve already hit -13)

I gave up on trying to heat my garage but I know that the electric heaters like morris9982 has work great!
    Same thing here in Bismarck. Hell, I was outside ONR`ing my car when we had a heatwave of 38f!

Post Thanks / Like
    How much does this unit cost? seem to be all I need, mybe even smaller, I have a one car garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot
    How much does this unit cost? seem to be all I need, mybe even smaller, I have a one car garage.

I had an electrical contractor install mine because I did not want to run the power myself.

I found this one on Grainger`s web site. I believe it is similar to the one I have.

Grainger Industrial Supply: Heater,Utility 3UG73

Post Thanks / Like
    So how is everyones heating solutions doing. Hope your staying warm.

My 2 ceramic and 18k BTU LP are working well enough that i now shut them off most nights. Besides the bottom foot of the garage staying cool, it takes about 20 min to get it to working temp on most days. Then cycle them off and on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wal-Mart had some Homles water-filled sealed radiators on sale for $30 so I picked one up to use in my house for room heating.

At the highest setting it uses about 1500 watts but it will really warm an area up and it provides comfortable heat because it doesnt use fans.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a wood burner out of a 55 gallon drum. Cut a square in the top for the door and 5" hole for the flu. The exhaust exits the length of the garage, this makes it more efficient and heats up in about 1/2 hour. Just have to crack a window when it gets too hot. I bought the mounts for it to set the drum on off Northerntool.com

I keep a dedicated pile of wood inside and use old pallets the local factories don`t want anymore.
    "Dad I want to buy a car" "You want a car? "Yes Dad I do" "Go buy one"

Rest in peace Mom & Dad. I love you and miss you too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    We want something to hang from the ceiling in our 2-car, but we might end up just getting a reddy heater jet engine-style. My only concern would be when I go to start fiberglassing. Resin is flammable. :soscared:
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information