Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings,

I`m relatively new at posting here but have been viewing things for a long time. I thought I`d share a few pictures of my garage project that just got a facelift. My house was built to my specifications and I have a 7 car (1285 sq ft) garage that is attached to the house (It is not a separate building). The ceiling is 12 1/2 feet tall which was just tall enough to put in a 4 post car lift and double stack cars or just work on them. I have radient (Ice Rink style) heating and a split airconditioner unit installed to make working on the cars comfortable. It also has a 25 inch color TV and surround sound system installed.

For flooring, I put down the black and white press-in-place floor tiles but it didn`t take long when these tiles would start to come off due to brake fluid, transmission fluid, and such on the floor. In time, the floor just looked ugly. A few weeks ago, I started to strip the tiles off of the floor using a power tile stripper. This was a bigger job than I expected because some of the tiles just didn`t want to come up. Next I removed the remainder of the adhesive via biodegradable chemicals and followed up with a degreaser.

After doing a TON of research, I purchased a two part epoxy system from the Original Color Chips company. The kits included a clean and etch, epoxy, color chips, and clear coat. I put a black painted border around the edge of the garage and under the workbench area first. I also purchased some floor stickers like busted knuckle garage that are 40 inch in diameter, taped them off, and clearcoated over them with the remainder of the floor. The colors I chose was a light gray base, with white, bright blue, electric blue, navy blue, and metalic silver color chips. Because I am using a heavy sprinkle of color chips there is two coats of clearcoat overy everything. The cost for the new flooring worked out to be $1.35 per Sq Ft.

Here are some pictures of the final results.

Attachment 12975

Attachment 12976

Attachment 12977

Attachment 12978

Attachment 12979

Attachment 12980
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Thanks for sharing with us!
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I envy that garage!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I would love to have a garage 1/2 that size. That`s not a bad price for the new floor. Now get yourself a good digital camera -- to really show it off

Post Thanks / Like
    I took the photos using my Nikon Digital D70S (It`s a high end camera) but I really had to work to get the photo`s small enough in size to put them on the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRJB
    I took the photos using my Nikon Digital D70S (It`s a high end camera) but I really had to work to get the photo`s small enough in size to put them on the system.

Oh -- sorry. I thought they looked like Cell Phone pics. I`ve never tried hosting the pics on here. I typically use Photobucket -- which also shrinks them down some.

I bet that size of garage took some time -- if you did it yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    where in MN are you from if you don`t mind, I am down in rochester, you garage looks great. Kind of what I am hoping to do some day

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh.... Thats Better!!!

Thanks for the great responses. It makes it worth the effort. I live in the northern part of the twin cities in Ham Lake, MN.

The garage took several stages: I rented the power stripper to take off the old tiles two separate 4 hour periods. I typically divided the front half of the garage from the back half in everything that I did. The reason is that I didn`t want some of my cars parked outside overnight (1934 Ford street rod, 1936 Chevy Street Rod, 1929 Ford Model A restored).

I planned on using 1 gallon of black for the border and under the workbench and storage areas. This took 3 days (1 day to etch it, 1 day to paint it, 1 day to clear coat it). The back half of the garage was done next following the same method (1 day to etch it(took 4 hours), 1 day to paint it (took around 4 hours), and 1 day to clear coat it (took around 2 hours), then I let it cure for 7 days before putting any vehicles on it.

I followed the same process for the front half of the garage. All in all - I used 7 kits from Original Color Chips (1 black and 6 light gray), I also ordered 6 extra clear coats because I used a heavy paint chip sprinkle. The price I gave ($1.35 sq ft) was an inclusive cost that was for the kits, extra paint chips, and shipping costs.

Would I do it again??? Yes - I`m VERY pleased with the results but am hoping I never have to do it again on this floor. A friend of mine came over and said "since your an expert now, you can do my floor" I replied "I can supervise"

MR JB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again -- looks very nice. Thanks for the big pics, and details. I hope to do something similar one day. Good idea on the border.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Garage. I only wish to see those prices for gas still!
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A detailer`s dream and mine too! awesome garage........:2thumbs:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work! I have 1135 sq ft in my garage, we built last year and due to circumstances the garage didnt get finished before we moved in and the floor is tops on my list. How hard was your project? How long did it take you? How was the smell? Do you think it will hold up like the professional stuff at $6-10/ft or even U-Coat it? Do you have info for the company your got your product from?

Post Thanks / Like
    very very nice man!
    down here in colorful colorado!

Post Thanks / Like
    `First, I`m not affiliated with the product. But I think it is a good product. As others have mentioned, everything about putting a lasting flooring down is about the Prep. This kit included a clean and etch product so that the cement and epoxy could bond. Also, there are two (and sometimes three) coats of clear coat on the floor. 1 coat of clear coat is included in the kit. lastly, I let it cure for 1 week before putting things back on the floor.

I do a lot of hard work on my garage floor and everyone is asking about holding up to welding and my car lifts. So far the car lifts are doing fine. I did a TON of research on floors. Price was not a factor as I wanted to do it only once. So finding this place that had all of everything that I wanted in one kit sounded nice but warrented more investigation.

Here is a link to their website. They also offer a high end clear coat but I didn`t use it.

"www.originalcolorchips.com"

Check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information