Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car covers

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for a car cover that doest leave dust or whatever it is all over the car. I`ve been told calif covers but damn 400 plus for a car cover. Any good company`s that make one for around 250 or less? Want it to be car specific and am located in az so it only rains about a month a year. My current cover has some rips in it(got it when i bought the car and it had some rips by the sideview mirrors)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a real car specific cover then you`re talking custom and you`re talking a nice chunk of change. Now a days they just go by dimensions and if your C class benz is close in dimensions to a ford focus then you`ll both be buying the same cover.

As for the dusting, that would depend on how clean you keep your cover. Most covers are made from some pretty thick material which requires you to manuever the cover around the car to get it on, if the cover is full of dust and dirt guess what? That`s going to fall all over your car as you unravel the cover. I suppose it`s like a catch 22 the cover will keep the dirt off your paint while it is on the car but the dirt/dust will fall onto your paint from the cover as you put it on or take it off. Of course that`s only the fine stuff (dust, fine dirt), the cover does help to keep those bonding type surface contaminents (ex. overspray, bird droppings) off your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Cal Car Cover for my Cobra, and am happy with it. Fits great. You get what you pay for, but there is no perfect solution. I have the flannel-lined cover (for interior use only) which seems to work pretty well, but will leave a little lint on the car, so it still needs a quick wipe down after cover removal. Seems to do a pretty good job at keeping the dust out (similar climate... VERY dusty)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owned many car covers, and the absolute best custom fit outdoor car cover I have owned is the Covercraft Weathershield HD. It is pricy, but well worth the money imo.

Let me put it this way. I live in New Orleans, LA and left the Weathershield HD on my Expedition during Hurricane Katrina. When I returned two weeks later, the cover was still on my vehicle and aside from a little dust that made it through around the bottom of the vehicle, it was still clean. That cover was put through the most severe of weather, and made it through with only a few blemishes, and didn`t put a single scratch on my vehicle.

I don`t know if this has changed, but when I was shopping around, webcovers.com had the best price on the Weathershield HD at that time.

As a side note, I have one that is practically brand new for sale. It was for my mother`s 04` BMW 330cic, which she sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I recently bought a California Car Cover Company Duststop cover for my father`s streetrod. Totally custom dimensioned to fit all the custom badywork and it was under $300. You should call them and ask about your specific car, if I remember correctly they started under 200. I would call before you write them off.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    I have owned many car covers, and the absolute best custom fit outdoor car cover I have owned is the Covercraft Weathershield HD. It is pricy, but well worth the money imo.

Let me put it this way. I live in New Orleans, LA and left the Weathershield HD on my Expedition during Hurricane Katrina. When I returned two weeks later, the cover was still on my vehicle and aside from a little dust that made it through around the bottom of the vehicle, it was still clean. That cover was put through the most severe of weather, and made it through with only a few blemishes, and didn`t put a single scratch on my vehicle.

I don`t know if this has changed, but when I was shopping around, webcovers.com had the best price on the Weathershield HD at that time.

I was looking at the HD and regular Weathershield along with Stormweave from Cali Car Covers -- does the HD protect against morning dew in your experience? Some reviews says it does, others say it doesn`t. Any ideas? I`m going to get one mainly for dew and snow...

Post Thanks / Like
    jasonmac,

The HD protects it against everything from morning dew to hurricanes, lol. The HD is a very heavy duty outdoor cover, the best I have ever seen, and the only one I would buy again.

I don`t know if this is for your daily driver or weekend car, but if you aren`t going to take the cover on and off a lot, some people actually buy two covers. One very soft, form fitting indoor cover to go on first, and then a heavy outdoor cover to go on top. This almost gives "garage" protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    jasonmac,

The HD protects it against everything from morning dew to hurricanes, lol. The HD is a very heavy duty outdoor cover, the best I have ever seen, and the only one I would buy again.

I don`t know if this is for your daily driver or weekend car, but if you aren`t going to take the cover on and off a lot, some people actually buy two covers. One very soft, form fitting indoor cover to go on first, and then a heavy outdoor cover to go on top. This almost gives "garage" protection.

Ah, okay, thanks Jason -- I was actually recommended the Noah cover by a California Car Cover rep, but does the HD scratch at all for a daily driver cover?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Noah at one time for my race car, and it was *decent* at best. It could only take so much exposure to rain before it started absorbing it. Also it started stretching over time, and didn`t keep its "custom fit".

The HD didn`t scratch my car even after Hurricane Katrina beat up on it. That being said, I didn`t drag the cover across my paint either. For removal, I would start at one end and roll it up. For putting it on, I would just do the opposite.

I think they are doing this automatically now, but the inside seams of the HD are a little rough. I contacted them about it, and they had me send it back to them to add a flanel lining over the seams. For my second and third HD`s, I just requested this flanel lining at the time of purchase, and they added it at the factory for me, no charge. Even though the rough seams never scratched my car, I just didn`t like the way they felt. Regardless, the lining solved the problem before it had a chance to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Noah at one time for my race car, and it was *decent* at best. It could only take so much exposure to rain before it started absorbing it. Also it started stretching over time, and didn`t keep its "custom fit".

The HD didn`t scratch my car even after Hurricane Katrina beat up on it. That being said, I didn`t drag the cover across my paint either. For removal, I would start at one end and roll it up. For putting it on, I would just do the opposite.

I think they are doing this automatically now, but the inside seams of the HD are a little rough. I contacted them about it, and they had me send it back to them to add a flanel lining over the seams. For my second and third HD`s, I just requested this flanel lining at the time of purchase, and they added it at the factory for me, no charge. Even though the rough seams never scratched my car, I just didn`t like the way they felt. Regardless, the lining solved the problem before it had a chance to start.

Okay, thanks J, did you request the flannel lining through webcovers.com? When I do order, I want to at least mention it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem! Yes, I requested it when I ordered them through webcovers. Webcovers, at the time, didn`t stock anything. The cover was manufactured at the time of order, and the flanel lining was requested at the same time so no time was lost.

Please post back and let me know how you like the cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone used/owned the sunbrella material? In the market for a outside winter weather cover, Live in NJ. Lost my garage space for the winter any looking fpr alternative if I can`t find a garage,

Car = 2005 SLK-350

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Met
    Has anyone used/owned the sunbrella material? In the market for a outside winter weather cover, Live in NJ. Lost my garage space for the winter any looking fpr alternative if I can`t find a garage,

Car = 2005 SLK-350

The Sunbrella fabric is pretty rough. We have it on our outdoor chaise lounges and chairs. I would think that it would not be very kind to your paint.
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem! Yes, I requested it when I ordered them through webcovers. Webcovers, at the time, didn`t stock anything. The cover was manufactured at the time of order, and the flanel lining was requested at the same time so no time was lost.

Please post back and let me know how you like the cover.

J,

Got the cover this week, and it`s been a little bit of a learning curve to put it on and remove with morning dew on it. I`ve been trying to towel down the cover before removing it to lessen the chance of runoff getting on the car, but thee is some moisture that seems to be getting through.

I use a WW drying towel to remove any moisture on the car which helps.

How do you handle removing a rained-on or dew-soaked cover ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information