Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Agree. After this summer, I will be all done painting the interior & exterior of my house (along with replacing 80% of trim boards).

Next up is garage! I`m thinking of some unique color combo, but it pretty much has to be white (or near white) due to lighting

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the gloss exterior paint idea. Maybe some Porter Paint 900 high gloss series.

Still not really sure what color scheme. Moved into the house a couple weeks ago and have been trying to get everything else with the house in order before tackling the garage.

Anyone have pictures of their garage? White or other colors? Gloss vs. other finishes?

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy of mine has a floor that is a bit darker than what you are going to go with and he has the bottom 2` up a charcoal color and a stainless steel strip about 2" wide going around the entire garage and above the stainless on up he has a lighter grey color. It looks really nice and classy. You wont be getting the bright, very lit up garage but with the flooring you are going to go with it would look very good. Especially if you carry that color up the wall a bit and then seperate it with a lighter color. I don`t know when I would be able to take a pic of it but if I can some time soon I will post it.

Post Thanks / Like
    MobileJay- that gray section scheme sounds like what I had in the previous (commercial) shop. Yeah, it looks good, but for functional reasons I`d stick with pure, bright, glossy white.

I guess I`m sorta stuffy about this, but I`d absolutely let form follow function and IMO the most important thing is being able to see what you`re doing. Something that looks cool wouldn`t please me nearly as much as something that helped me do the work better/easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator-Thats true. He doesn`t do any work as far as detailing in his garage. He just has a very nice place to sit and hang out in there. I see how the white walls would produce much more light in there but I would just get bored with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got the garage finished last night after about a weeks worth of epoxy-coating and painting. I will hopefully get some pics of the wall paint scheme that I went with later tonight. I need some better cabinetry and storage, but I just moved in a month ago so I haven`t had time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t mean to highjack this thread, but I thought adding to this would be a better idea than creating my own thread. Here`s what I have been working on for the past week.

Post-etching with Muriatic Acid

A closer look at the etching result

One coat of Haze Gray Sherwin-Williams Armorseal 100HS industrial grade epoxy. Yeah I`m a baller Actually know my coatings as an environmental engineer.

Let the epoxy dry/cure overnight and then put down a two-part Sherwin-Williams industrial grade urethane for better wear resistence and UV protection on the epoxy. Also spread silica sand for light grip.

End product with the car and tools, etc. I need better cabinetry, but this is all for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very nice. Thanks for the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. I love epoxy floors.

Too clean, mess that place up a bit now. lol
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Kasper20- That looks *really* good :xyxthumbs

Those incandescent lights in the ceiling will sure show marring too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero
    Looks good. I love epoxy floors.

Too clean, mess that place up a bit now. lol

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am too afraid to do anything rash quite yet because it has only been two weeks and the air has been pretty humid for curing, etc. Hopefully it will really dry out this coming weekend and I can create some messes. I have a huge turbo upgrade for the RB25 this winter so it will definitely catch some spills.

I love this forum so far and have to read up more on lighting options and what people recommend. I was thinking of fluorescents, but I`m really new to the detailing world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper20
    I was thinking of fluorescents, but I`m really new to the detailing world.

Fluorescents are great for general light, but they don`t show swirls. I have those and a halogen light on a stand I move around. Seems to work good for me.

Mmmmmm turboooo
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. I have one of those so maybe I`ll stick with that for detailing and fluorescents for overall garage lighting.

Oh and to keep this on topic. I used Sherwin-Williams interior home duration semi-gloss on all three of those colors and they have been easy to wipe down the small splatters that I have gotten on them so far. I honestly can`t be more impressed with my first real DIY home project! :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    kasper20- Not to take this off-topic, but I can absolutely guarantee that the simple bare-bulb lights you have now will show stuff that you simply won`t see under any other lighting. Get other lights for general illumination, get halogens for use when polishing...but turn all those out and use the existing lights for the final inspection (you`ll prove this to yourself the first time you try it ).

And yeah, you certainly deserve to be proud of your project. That shop will be a pleasure to work in :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5
    I always recommended to all my customers to use a exterior paint in a garage. It`s more durable and easy to wipe clean (use a satin or gloss finish).
    I have to recommend NOT to use exterior semi gloss or gloss paint in an uninsulated garage. I had a bad experience with someone painting a garage interior drywall with gloss exterior paint, and peeling off. The moisture between the interior and exterior walls due to condensation likely cause the problem.

I use flat beige paint, with semi gloss white trim. Looks nice, the beige hides alot of the dirt and marks on the walls
    Black Mustang GT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information