Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

My wife is going to let me take out an equity loan on the house to fund the expanding the garage projectâ€

Currently we have a 2 car attached garage (22’W X 20’D) which is way to small for all my automotive & wood working tools, plus storage for the corvette.

I have spent the last 5 years moving stuff around any time I need to work on something and I’m sick of it 

Currently I have 12’ ceilings, and but no storage above.. I would like to keep 12’ ceilings, (add a 2 post lift), get some storage, or room/office above but do not want to

Have any center columns. I was thinking of making the garage (30 X 40’).

Also currently I have 2 9x7 doors, I was thinking of one 18x9 door instead if it would look ok.. I plan to hire someone out to take a professional look at what would fit with the house.

What do you guys think? I am going to attach a couple pictures of the current outside and current interior layout of the garage..

I still need to plan out what else I need..

1) Lighting (what kind, how many, and where to have them)

2) Outlets and power (thinking of running 220V to a box in the garage and distribute from that, how much Amps do I need?)

3) Plum water to the garage to make it easy to back cars into driveway to wash them.

4) Heat: Was thinking about a modine hotdawg propane heater

5) What does the concrete have to be to support a 7K 2 post lift?

6) Can I get a room up top and still not have any center supports?

7) Do you think a garage this size will look right next to the house? I hope they can pitch the roof right to make it fit..

Any suggestions on any items welcome.. I need to hear ideas, I want to make sure I do this right..

I am at the beginning stages, so I have a week or so to plan it out 

Thanks much,

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Fluorescent lighting in garage is great, but depending on how cold it gets where you live, may not work that well. Popular here in South FL. I don`t think that size will look awkward, if anything will bring a nice look especially if you keep a space above as a bonus room to flow with the house itself. Will be nice and spacious. We had a lift in one of the garages at the old house the previous owner had put in, so not sure of the exact specifics of the foundation needed since it was done before we lived there. You may not need a post/support column if the joist is strong enough while expanding the garage width/length, pry safer witha support pole but not sure. Friend of ours has a large 5 car garage with a room above it and no support poles however the room is part of the main house and not seperate like yours would be.

I own a finance company down here so let me know if you need help or guidance, if I`m not licensed in your state (not sure where you live) I may be able to refer you to somebody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer

I own a finance company down here so let me know if you need help or guidance, if I`m not licensed in your state (not sure where you live) I may be able to refer you to somebody.

Im in NH.. email me if you are licensed in NH (email through my user name)

I am just starting the finance process so now is a great time

thanks

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    HI you could try The Garage Journal those guys have a zillion ideas have a look on the BOARD

cheers dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Your in a good spot right now, being able to plan and having some funds to do so is a perfect opportunity for you.

1. Lighting. your doing carpentry so as much flourscent as possible. If your heater won`t be on all the time (as in keeping it above freezing) then you might want a few incandescants as well just to have that instant light until the lights warm up.

Every 4-5 ft, have a tube running accross the ceiling.

2) Power

Put a breaker box out there, it will save you a pile of grief, and the 220V is also a good plan. You should plan for atleast 45A , more if your going to have some large air compressors or anything else.

I recommend LOTS of plugs, every 4-5 ft along the wall. Nothing like having to trip over cords or diging out a plugin. Also look up and add a few to your ceiling.

3) Water - nice if you can. Your heater will need to be set to keep it above freezing in the garage then. and a drain in the floor if your area allows that is also a good plan especially if your doing a lot with water like washing your car.

4. Heat, natural gas is good if your house is plumbed for it, if not propane is a good alrernative. Heaters: Modine, Reznor or Calcana are good options.

5) What does the concrete have to be to support a 7K 2 post lift?

Standard concrete with rebar reinforced ever 12" and atleast 4" deep will handle your lift, if you really need weight, then you`ll need to go with a 6" floor.

6) Can I get a room up top and still not have any center supports?

If you design your ceiling yourself you can, the span companies churn out trusses that aren`t designed for that, but if can be done if you do it yourself or request a special run.

7) Do you think a garage this size will look right next to the house? I hope they can pitch the roof right to make it fit..

As long as the outside looks like the house or similiar it will fit nicely. Its when you paint it fire engine red with purple trim that you may have an issue with it looking like it fits.

If you have the chance do the floor with inslab heat... this will be really nice to work on, and no worries about combustion from the heater.
    Cheers

Quentin J Sarafinchan

TotalGarage.ca

Thread Information