Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i don`t buy into the guys saying that the OTC DIY products won`t work. I have seen too many people have great success with them. which is why i am going with one. I think i am going to use the rustoleum brand. the floor is brand new. it will be cleaned with a pressure washer by he home builder and then i will come behind and clean it better and with the acid. just hope the slick surface takes the epoxy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I said I used Quickcrete... I used the Rustoleum from Lowes! To be specific on the cleaning.....I first scrubbed any spots with full strength Simple Green, powerwashed with 2200psi washer, sealed some small cracks with Quickcrete Filler. Then scrubbed the floor 3 times with Simple Green and a broom. Rinsed after each wash. Then used the acid in the kit, rinsed 3 times before I put the paint down.

It took me 2 days to clean the floor and I think that is part of the reason it is doing so well.

I use a damp mop on it maybe once a month just to keep it looking good..... Neighbors really think I`m nuts when they see me mopping my garage!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it`s all about the prep and following the directions. I work a full time job and a part time job, my part time job just happens to be in the paint department at Lowe`s. We sell a lot of the Rustoleum garage floor epoxy and the only time we`ve received complaints is when the customer didn`t clean the floor well or didn`t follow the directions. Every other customer praises it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I am having done, even as we speak..........

Ultimate Garage Floors

$3,500.00 for a 3 car garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4AudiQ

Ultimate Garage Floors

thats about 800$ in product from UCOAT IT and the rest LABOR!:secret

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4AudiQ

Ultimate Garage Floors

I suppose if you have the money to burn.

I put down the rustoleum last night. I got the 2 1/2 car garage kit from home depot for

$99. Home depot is the only one carying the double kit around here. The Lowes single kits are 62 each. Home Depot FTW!

We`ll see how it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read on Garage Journal that you should put baking soda and water down after rinsing the etching off to neutralize the ph on the floor. Anyone done this?

How many coats did you guys use?

New garage floors need the etching. They are too smooth for the epoxy to stick properly.

Our house will be finished in a few weeks and I think I may get some Porter Paints epoxy. Someone on Garage Journal advised that this was the best they offered.

PORTERMASTIC 7000 Surface Tolerant Epoxy

Pot Life: 3 hours @ 77°F

Gloss

Percent Solids:

Weight: 81.5 ± 2%

Volume: 70.0 ± 2%

The weight percentage was much higher than Quickrete or Rustoleom which would allow a thicker and more durable coat. The pot life time is rather fast too. Sounds like professional stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no experience with epoxy floor coatings but I do work in the construction field and if it was my floor I would wait at least 28 days for the concrete to "fully" cure. The truth is that concrete will pretty cure forever, but it is to full strength in 28 days. Depending on the weather the moisture from the concrete can evaporate in days or months. I would think that the heat created from the concrete curing probably wont be good for the epoxy either.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qballjr13
    I have no experience with epoxy floor coatings but I do work in the construction field and if it was my floor I would wait at least 28 days for the concrete to "fully" cure. The truth is that concrete will pretty cure forever, but it is to full strength in 28 days. Depending on the weather the moisture from the concrete can evaporate in days or months. I would think that the heat created from the concrete curing probably wont be good for the epoxy either.

Yes, this is a must with just about any epoxy coating AFAIK. Must wait at least 26-28 days for cure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehonda
    I read on Garage Journal that you should put baking soda and water down after rinsing the etching off to neutralize the ph on the floor. Anyone done this?

How many coats did you guys use?

New garage floors need the etching. They are too smooth for the epoxy to stick properly.

Our house will be finished in a few weeks and I think I may get some Porter Paints epoxy. Someone on Garage Journal advised that this was the best they offered.

PORTERMASTIC 7000 Surface Tolerant Epoxy

Pot Life: 3 hours @ 77°F

Gloss

Percent Solids:

Weight: 81.5 ± 2%

Volume: 70.0 ± 2%

The weight percentage was much higher than Quickrete or Rustoleom which would allow a thicker and more durable coat. The pot life time is rather fast too. Sounds like professional stuff.

Don`t know anything about that product. Not sure about the baking soda either. I bought the rustoleum 2 1/2 garage kit for $99 bucks. Followed the instructions. And everything came out fine. My garage floor was poured about 2 1/2 months ago. It is a slick surface but has plenty of pores. It took just fine. We moved in this past weekend and it help up great to all the traffic. I have not put a car on it yet (mainly because there are too many boxed still ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information