Post Thanks / Like
    Due to the lack of water pressure from my hose, I plan to get an air compressor + power was wand. Does anyone have any experience with these items? Craftsman Power Washer and Craftsman 3 gal. Air Compressor, 1 hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that compressor-use it mainly for cleaning off my kart. It`s ok. Get the heavy duty hose - the one that came with it (yellow) blew the first time I used it.

If you want something that you`re going to be using for more than a few minutes at a time, get something with a bigger tank.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    What the heck is it? A super-duty power washer or something else? Maybe that compressor is really small, I can`t tell. I guess 1HP is the type of unit used for a nail gun and other lo-demand tools.

Couple of thoughts:

I`ve got a 5hp Craftsman compressor. Probably 7 yrs old, it`s the dry piston type. It`s done well and has been an inducement for buying all sorts of other air tools Quite handy having air around the garage! WTS, I don`t think I`d want to hear it running all the time while washing cars...it would destroy the tranquility of the moment.

I don`t feel regular use of a power washer on a nicely maintained finish is part of the big picture. I`ll use it for seasonal clean up of wheel, especially the rear side. I like it for cleaning up the engine bay, nothing can touch its effectiveness. It`s great for other projects around the house like cleaning moss from bricks, washing decks and patio furniture.

Can you get them to power the compressor up so you can hear the noise it at the store?? How low is your water pressure? Have you measured it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got an e-mail from Sears about this two gallon on special. Only $10 more than the one gallon. Oh-I got my one gallon on sale before Christmas - $59.

two gallon compressor
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    The compressor unit is fairly small, comparable to the size of a mid-size duffel bag. My main objective is to quantify the amount of water pressure and apply it to interior detailing as well.

If I am not mistaken, the water hose and air compressor connects together on the Power Washer wand; transforming this unit into a water pressure tool. However, I am unnamed as to the specifics and how well it works.

tom p., excellent point you made, I should give the compressor a test drive before I bring it home.

kompressornsc, can you elaborate a bit more on "a bigger tank"? I notice the compressor says 3gals, what does that pertain to?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 33 gallon at home. Three gallon would run out of air quite quickly and the motor would constantly be running. They`re designed for the smaller, quick jobs, like filling a tire or two. Not necessarily heavy duty jobs like powering air tools. It can be done, but you might find yourself having to pause a lot while the tank builds up pressure...

Post Thanks / Like
    /\ What he said.

When my tank is full, using just a `blow-off` tool, takes about 30 seconds to drop the tank to where it will come back on and rebuild the pressure. This is when the valve is at full open. Since I only use it for 2-3 minutes at a time, it wasn`t a big deal to me that it`s that small.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuwin
    I have a 33 gallon at home. Three gallon would run out of air quite quickly and the motor would constantly be running. They`re designed for the smaller, quick jobs, like filling a tire or two. Not necessarily heavy duty jobs like powering air tools. It can be done, but you might find yourself having to pause a lot while the tank builds up pressure...

I`m guessing a 3gal. will be inadequate for a car wash? What happens the the tank runs out of air? Will the motor engage and keep running (i.e. being explicitly loud)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chowfun
    I`m guessing a 3gal. will be inadequate for a car wash? What happens the the tank runs out of air? Will the motor engage and keep running (i.e. being explicitly loud)?

Yes,

When the tank holding pressure drops below a certain PSI, the motor kicks on to bring it back up. Shuts off when it reaches max PSI. Now, if you`re taking air out as fast as it is refilling, it will never shut off. There are a ton of variables as to how long a tank will last - kind of tool, time, etc. Basically, the smaller the tank, the more often it will kick on to repressurize.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Thread Information