Post Thanks / Like
    I have bought a new house a couple of months ago and im in the middle of finishing up the garage so I can detail all year round. First off, my garage is 20x20 and has 4 sections of concrete floor. Second, the foundation comes up along the concrete about oh, 6 inches or so. Ontop of the concrete they start up with the studs and drywall and such but when they did it, they left a gap about a half inch between the concret and where they started the dry wall. Any idea what do with about that gap? Ill try to post some pics if I can but I want my garage to look nice and profession and all seeing as how people will be seeing it and to me its another room in the house, not just a garage.

-------------------------------------------

Drywall

Gap

Concrete

Thanks

P.S. This site rules!!!:woot: :2thumbs:

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s a small gap, some quarter round molding would cover it. If it`s wade, try baseboard.

LL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ern
    I have bought a new house a couple of months ago and im in the middle of finishing up the garage so I can detail all year round. First off, my garage is 20x20 and has 4 sections of concrete floor. Second, the foundation comes up along the concrete about oh, 6 inches or so. Ontop of the concrete they start up with the studs and drywall and such but when they did it, they left a gap about a half inch between the concret and where they started the dry wall. Any idea what do with about that gap? Ill try to post some pics if I can but I want my garage to look nice and profession and all seeing as how people will be seeing it and to me its another room in the house, not just a garage.

Drywall

Gap

Concrete

Thanks

P.S. This site rules!!!:woot: :2thumbs:

Aaron

They probably left the gap so that water did not ruin the drywall. Or the garage is like 8`-1/2" tall to the ceiling and they started at the top so they didn`t have a gap at the top. Either way I would of done the same with the gap to keep any water from ruining the drywall. LOL Anyway, just go to the hardware and get some base molding and through it up along the wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably wouldn`t use wood. The reason for the gap is that the concrete can wick moisture up into the drywall. Is the drywall set back from the concrete at all? If so, you might be able to use some sanitary moulding. Cheap, easy to install and won`t wick.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressornsc
    I probably wouldn`t use wood. The reason for the gap is that the concrete can wick moisture up into the drywall. Is the drywall set back from the concrete at all? If so, you might be able to use some sanitary moulding. Cheap, easy to install and won`t wick.

Well thats the thing. One side has a ledge completely and the other side starts having a ledge then it doesnt as it goes down the garage. Something to me isnt straight or level. Beucase I thought about doing that sanitary molding.

I need to find something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lland
    If it`s a small gap, some quarter round molding would cover it. If it`s wade, try baseboard.

LL
    Bingo! That`s what I would do. We put baseboard all around the edges of our basement and it has drywall. It`s a good option.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it`s all about???

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4...1967 Ford Mustang Coupe...2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a tile border? A little more work and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be a vinyl baseboard. That wont wick moisture.....

Could also fill it with foam and paint it.......

What part of the country?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Indiana. The problem im seeing with the baseboard is that the concrete sticks out past the drywall. They didnt have it lined up and its uneven in some areas. It kinda creates a ledge. So if I put down baseboard, itll look good in some areas but as it protrudes more down farther it does leaving a ledge and I think itll look dumb.

Argh, I need to post pics for you guys but the garage is filthy with dust and junk from working on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Indiana. The problem im seeing with the baseboard is that the concrete sticks out past the drywall. They didnt have it lined up and its uneven in some areas. It kinda creates a ledge. So if I put down baseboard, itll look good in some areas but as it protrudes more down farther it does leaving a ledge and I think itll look dumb.

Argh, I need to post pics for you guys but the garage is filthy with dust and junk from working on it.
    Where at in IN? :grinno: Your garage sounds just like mine... except I don`t believe there is a gap between the concrete and the drywall :nixweiss I have pics at home... maybe I`ll post them if I remember later

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Anderson, about 30-45 mins from Indy depending on how fast I drive lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Anderson, about 30-45 mins from Indy depending on how fast I drive lol.
    :grinno: I live on the SW side of indy

Post Thanks / Like

Well don`t we make a nice little triangle! I`m about 20 minutes from Anderson - since WalMart is the only shopping we have here, I go over there about 3 times a week. Yesterday it was Office Depot, Saturday, Lowe`s, and Thursday, Menard`s (+ White Castles).
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Thread Information