Post Thanks / Like
    I had the garage floor refinished this week by Premier Garage of Chicagoland. The old grey paint was completely gone and it was time to step up the appearance and durability.

The process was kind of cool to watch. After blowing out all the debris they used a diamond grinder to remove what was left of the old paint and to rough up the concrete surface. Then they washed it with alcohol. They patched a few minor cracks, and then rolled down the paint, while spreading the colored paint chips as they went along. The entire process to this point took 2 hours.

Late the next day they returned and swept away the residual paint chips, and then laid down a final coat of clear poly. They sprinkled sand on the poly coat as they went along to give it a rough surface. Done.

I am able to walk in the surface just 16 hours later, but I need to keep the cars off of it for at least 48 hours ... the longer the better they told me (up to 4 days).

Yes, it costs more than a DIY or other flooring options ... about $4.50 per sq. ft. ... but someone else did all the hard work and the end result looks solid.

Here`s some pics during the process.

Before.

After grinding.

Patch & Paint

Paint Chips down.

Final Poly Coat.

Close Up Final (curb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. I like the color, it won`t show dirt at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re missing 1 crucial photo! Post up the one of you sitting in a lawn chair having a cold brew watching someone else do the work! LOL That`s the best part of paying someone else to do it! Additionally, since prep is the key step in painting, it looks as though they did a very complete and thorough job! I doubt any DIY`er would be able to get similar results (Looks maybe, but durability, certainly not) on their own.

The floor looks great but I always wonderd how people find lil screws and bolts or other parts they may drop? Those speckled floors look amazing but I would think it would hinder a search and rescue of a tiny part or piece of hardware.

Keep us updated as to how it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a drain in your garage? How did you get that?

What else would need to be to the walls in order to make that a wash bay? I`d love a garage wash bay... I could take my sweet time washing at w/e time in the day and not just early mornings.

Post Thanks / Like
    You never seen a floor drain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe
    You never seen a floor drain?
    They are illegal now without an oil and grease trap which isn`t cheap. I am sure it was done before any of that went into effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joyriiide1113
    What else would need to be to the walls in order to make that a wash bay?
    Well, now that you mention it ... a flat screen big TV would be nice.:chuckle:

The house was built in 1937, so the drain is a relic. I also have a hot & cold water sink in there too. My cars love hot baths in the middle of winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    They are illegal now without an oil and grease trap which isn`t cheap. I am sure it was done before any of that went into effect.

Really?

Is that true for Michigan? We built my dads garage and didnt put in a trap at all. The inspector didnt say anything when he checked it out. My garage was built in 64 so that explains why my drain dont have a trap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe
    Really?

Is that true for Michigan? We built my dads garage and didnt put in a trap at all. The inspector didnt say anything when he checked it out. My garage was built in 64 so that explains why my drain dont have a trap.

You have to jump through major hoops to get a drain to be allowed in new construction in Michigan. My friend layed down all the plumbing, poured concrete over them and marked where the inlet was. Then aftet the city inspection was completed, he chipped away the concrete to expose the drain and started using it. He couldn`t get it otherwise.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information