Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother stopped over when i was about half way through and took some pics, thought maybe i will post them.

First thing i had to do was remove this dog kennel......thing.

I think i built it to a decent size.

9` long, 35" wide, 45" tall.

The top is 3/4" 5 ply plywood.

Me takin a smoke breake:

My brother takin over on my little breaks

Basicly done:

I put a shelf over it also since i had some scrap left over:

Total cost:

$11 hehehehe

Im not much of a wood worker so this is quite an accomplishment for me :heelclick

Hell, im happy its level hahaha

Now i need a table vice and a table grinder and an air hose reel and im set.... well, for awhile

I also bought 2 new 48" shop lights from menards since they where on sale so now the garage has 5 48" strip shop lights and one 48" quad shop light (dunno what ya call it) over the work bench. I still need more light, dunno what im gonna do about it yet though.

Im thinkin about making a smaller one in the other corner of the garage. It would be nice, 2 work benches and in the middle my tool box and compressor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. My biggest tip, get a spray gun and some generic white paint, and paint the inside. You will not have to have as many lights, and the garage will seem light and airy. When my father was building my garage, he stopped at just studs, and it was so dark. Then we just sprayed on some white paint and it looks 150%better.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! That reminds me of my detailing workbench back home. I got a bunch of wood for free when our bank remodeled. Mine doesn`t win any beauty contests, but it works!

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    Looks good. My biggest tip, get a spray gun and some generic white paint, and paint the inside. You will not have to have as many lights, and the garage will seem light and airy. When my father was building my garage, he stopped at just studs, and it was so dark. Then we just sprayed on some white paint and it looks 150%better.

Im trying to picture that, it seems it would look pretty funny lol

Post Thanks / Like
    You think i could just use cheapy white paint and a brush?

If i used a spray gun or any type of sprayer i would have to remove my car from the garage (which is a big no-no in the middle of winter) and i would probably have to remove alot of other things (also hard to do in the winter).

Im positive the studs and backing isnt clean, how would i clean it before painting? Think i even should clean it first?

Should i prime it first or do you think it would hold up just fine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would wait until spring, buy one of those cheap spray guns you can use with your air compressor. And paint the inside like Brandon said, no fuss with getting into the nooks and crannies then. But as it sits now the garage looks good, great work on the bench!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua312
    I would wait until spring, buy one of those cheap spray guns you can use with your air compressor. And paint the inside like Brandon said, no fuss with getting into the nooks and crannies then. But as it sits now the garage looks good, great work on the bench!

Thats true, i should waite till spring and use a sprayer.

I have 5 vehicles already booked for april (possibly more and not including my own 3 vehicles) so i am anxious to have my garage ready to rock and roll. I made it work before so im sure i can make it work again. Lighting is just so important, not just for detailing but for any project your doing in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post some details of your steps? I`m not a woodworker either but I`d like to build something similar, especially at that price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built two 6` workbenches for my garage... I don`t know what I`d do without them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBoxer1
    Can you post some details of your steps? I`m not a woodworker either but I`d like to build something similar, especially at that price.

Sorry, dont know if i could, i kinda fumbled through it :lol

The reason i did it for $11 is becuase the plywood and the 4x4`s where free plus i already had screws and nails. I just had to buy two 10` and two 8` 2x4`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate
    I built two 6` workbenches for my garage... I don`t know what I`d do without them.

Im thinkin about making 6` one in the other corner also, just not as wide as this one.

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t beleive that anyone would lock up a dog in the tiny little cage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LastDetail

I hope it was a tiny little dog

+1 on painting the inside white for more light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LastDetail

Actually what you dont see is that there is a hole in the garage wall (i had to patch before starting the bench) and on the other side (outside) there was a VERY large chain-link kennel. The dog had a good 40 sq ft of room. Still dont make sense to me though becuase when i bought the house and the previous owners still lived their their dog never left the house or the husbands side, it was a very beautiful and very trained black lab.

Post Thanks / Like
    9 feet long? Was that one long piece of ply or do you have a seam in the middle? Ive never found ply-wood over 8` It looks like it will do a fine job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information