Post Thanks / Like
    Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I was looking to get this because I need a new air compressor. My local store has it on sale for $149.00 and I get another 10% off of that. What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad compressor at all.

My recomendation on compressors is to get nothing smaller than a 33 gallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Craftsman 33 gal. air compressor and I love it. I am able to rotate tires, blow dry cars, use a pneumatic wrench etc. I got it for about $250 last year with a few sales and promos. Right now its on sale for $299. It is oil free whereas the HF one is oil lubed. A little more maitenance but I think the oil lubed compressors are quiter. Mine is pretty loud but when I use it in the garage or outside it isn`t bad at all. Theres something about HF that has me a bit weary ... whether it is just the looks of the products (cheap looking), warranties, etc ... I think I`ll stick with my Craftsman tools

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally prefer oil lubed instead of those oil-less ones.

I went to the local HF for the first time last week to look around and didn`t buy anything. I agree w/Budman3 in that the stuff looks like cheap Chinese knock offs.

As with anything else you get what you pay for. I would check Lowes out as well.

MorBiD

Post Thanks / Like
    Costco has a similar compressor for about $200, I bought one a month or so ago, I believe its 3.5 peak hp and 25 gallon, but the actual comressor looks very similar, but the tank is ASME certified. Best part about Costco, if there is a problem, back it goes! Try that at Harbor Freight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Try that at Harbor Freight!

OK ........ I never had an issure with returning something at HF???

Post Thanks / Like
    So they take returns 2 or 3 years later? Costco does.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought a small one form Harbor freight, they just opened up a store here in Brownsville. It`s a 4 gallon 2 HP job for airing up tires and such. Was $179 reduced to $99 and I had a 10% off coupon. Works just fine for what I use it for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MorBid
    I personally prefer oil lubed instead of those oil-less ones. MorBiD

Good point. If you are going to be using it occasionally, then oil-less is fine. But if you are going to be using it so much that the motor is going to be running almost continuously, look for an oiled one.

Also I`ve had really good luck with my porter cable air compressor.
    metload1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    I recently bought a small one form Harbor freight, they just opened up a store here in Brownsville. It`s a 4 gallon 2 HP job for airing up tires and such. Was $179 reduced to $99 and I had a 10% off coupon. Works just fine for what I use it for.

Thanks. I figure for as much as I will use it this compressor will be fine. I have the 10% off coupon too so I want to grab it before the coupon expires.

This is also an oil lubricated motor. I want oil because they are quieter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have almost that identical compressor and it works great, no complaints at all, but if you are planning on using a 1/2in impact to change tires and such then you need to get one with a little more air flow. I ended up just getting an efficient 3/8 drive impact with lower flow requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mobz75
    I have almost that identical compressor and it works great, no complaints at all, but if you are planning on using a 1/2in impact to change tires and such then you need to get one with a little more air flow. I ended up just getting an efficient 3/8 drive impact with lower flow requirements.
    Thanks!

For some reason I like using hand tools as much as possible so I won`t be using the compressor for anything major, at least not regularly. I could even make do with a much smaller compressor but I want something that, when I need more power I have it. I am torn between this one and a smaller 5 gallon portable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up getting the new compressor this weekend. I changed my mind at the very last minute and just went for an 8 gallon 2 horse compressor. For what I do, this is plenty and it takes up a lot less space. For $19 more I got the 2 year extended warranty on it as well. If anything goes wrong I just get a new one. My one problem is that my dang garage electrical has a little hard time with this motor. Sometimes it kicks on fine but if something else is running the compressor just dims the lights and won`t kick on. I am going to have an electrician look at the garage this week.

Thread Information