Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to search but the search feature hasn`t been working for me for some time.

I will be moving to an apartment at the end of the month and my 98 C5 has been used to staying with a roof over its head at night. It will be daily driven and I`ve been thinking about getting a car cover to protect it from the frost, etc that comes at night. Ive heard some stuff that improper car cover use can scratch your paint. Please educate me on the use of car covers for DD cars.
    2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T - Bathurst Black

2007 Ford Fusion - Oxford White (wife`s)

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t worry about covering up a daily driver. In fact, I believe more harm will come from griding in dirt with the car cover than minimal (if any) damage that will occur from frost. For the Mustang I currently have in storage, I used a simoniz car cover. It`s stored indoor so I didn`t have to tie it down to avoid it from flapping in the wind and smacking the car as when stored outdoor. I`m not 100% sure of the matierla that it is made of, but I did see that it was very soft, breathable, and didn`t marr the finish of my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend has a DD `00 or `01 C5 and bought the "best as per corvette forums" car cover even though I told him not to bother. He used it once and said he is going to sell it now. He spent $3-400 on it too.

They just aren`t worth it for a car sitting outside that you want to keep the paint in good shape. Just keep the LSP fresh and you`ll be fine.

A car stored indoors is a different story.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej
    My friend has a DD `00 or `01 C5 and bought the "best as per corvette forums" car cover even though I told him not to bother. He used it once and said he is going to sell it now. He spent $3-400 on it too.

They just aren`t worth it for a car sitting outside that you want to keep the paint in good shape. Just keep the LSP fresh and you`ll be fine.

A car stored indoors is a different story.

One of my main things is I want to keep frost/ice etc off the windshield/backglass when it gets cold outside. I wont be able to warm my car up because my unit is on the back side of the building, not facing the parking lot.
    2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T - Bathurst Black

2007 Ford Fusion - Oxford White (wife`s)

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a tsx that i drive 3-4 times a week and it is covered everyday drive or not. the cover is awesome and is made of very very soft fabric, thick and WATERPROOF. Comes with elastic on front n back along with a strap on the side to prevent from flapping in the wind. I got it for 100bux from PepBoys and is made by covercraft. Exc. product for the price and is relatively the same as any of the premier ones out there.:chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm... although I`ve never lived in a climate with snow, an idea for you folks that have to dig your car out every morning might be to put some type of removeable sheet on your front and back glass. That way, you can just roll it off in the morning and all the ice and such should go with it.

I know they actually sold something like this, but I wasn`t sure if it was necessary to have a special material.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also get anti-frost sprays.

Spray the glass at night, then in the morning wash off with a quick blast from your screen wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    wait until the cover freezes to the car. In highschool my buddy used to cover his car and one morning he went to pull it off and it was stuck to the entire car. He ended up tearing it to pieces just so he could get to school, and even after a few miles of driving there where still pieces of the cover on the car.

Thread Information