Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of comments I`ll share on this. I have gone thru a couple of the kerosene heaters. The newest one, 70k BTU, is much cleaner than previous models...don`t know why, but there`s very little odor from it. I need something substantial (forced air) to heat my garage as I have high ceilings...they`re probably 14`. I can get the temp up high enough and not burn an insane amount of fuel and it doesn`t take too long. I make it a point to buy very clean kerosene from the hardware store in gallon or 2.5 gallon jugs. This stuff is quite a bit cleaner than the stuff you`d buy at the gas station and has to be partially resposible for the low odor. If you really want to great crazy, XOM produces a synthetic kero you can find every once-in-a-while at HD, but it`s around $8/gallon. There is no odor from this syn product. I only burn a few gallons of kero (probably less than 5) during the entire season.

I`ve also got a radiant heater that clamps on top of your BBQ tank bottle. While it kicks out a tremendous amount of heat, it`s only useful if you`re standing at your work bench, for example. It`s of little to no value if you`re moving around your car.

You can also buy the electric radiant heaters and mount them on a wall and focus it at the front of the car while doing an oil change, etc. Problem is, the throw isn`t very far so you`ve got to be fairly close to it to have any effect. I am thinking about picking one of these up to avoid using the kero heater at all unless I am detailing. I don`t like the noise from it and I understand breathing the fumes + CO isn`t great for one`s health.

Stay warm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`ll echo what Accumulator sez. I also have a CO detector in the garage, haven`t ever seen it go off with the heater. I also pre-heat the kero heater `til it`s glowing red hot with garage doors open. This permits the stong fumes to escape as the unit comes up to temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can`t have a real, exterior vented gas heater, I much prefer the ceiling mounted infra-red heaters for a couple of resons:

1) They heat things, not air. Me and my car are things.

2) No open flame. I do a lot of mechanical work in the garage, too, and am always concerned about fumes.

3) Ceiling mounted. They stay out of the way of cords, toys, pets, etc. And most volatile fumes are heavier than air (see #2 above)

Just my 2cents

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a Cozy wall mounted unit. Had it for 4 years. Always work in a closed garage. No vent needed. It heats my double garage to 80 degrees in sub zero weather no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I ended up getting a convection heater from Lowe`s. Let me say that this thing is WAY better than my torpedo style heater. It heats the garage SUPER fast. The fumes seem to be a little more but I just kit the heater one, leave the garage door or walk through door cracked, and let it warm up for a few minutes before going in and working. You are not supposed to leave them unattended but i am bad and do for a few. An easy fix would be to put in an exhaust fan above the heater. Anyway, this this only runs on propane so no electrical is needed which means no more tripping over the electrical cord. It is also super quiet compared to the torpedo. You don`t even know it is on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Well, I ended up getting a convection heater from Lowe`s. Let me say that this thing is WAY better than my torpedo style heater. It heats the garage SUPER fast. The fumes seem to be a little more...

Please get the CO detector though, if only so I don`t have to worry about you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Please get the CO detector though, if only so I don`t have to worry about you
    Good call! I was actually thinking about that while I was pased out in the garage. LOL For real, I will be getting one for the garage and house this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Danase. How big is your garage, how high is the ceiling and is it insualted at all? Would you say the convection one heats the garage just as fast as the forced one? I was originally looking into the convection heaters for the same reasons you stated but was told to go with the forced air because the convection ones heat from the top down and take a long time to heat. Plus I was afraid it would take even longer because my ceiling goes all the way up to the rafters and even though my walls are insulated the roof is not. I like the benefits of the convection but don`t want it to take all afternoon and burn through alot of propane. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SR77
    Danase. How big is your garage, how high is the ceiling and is it insualted at all? Would you say the convection one heats the garage just as fast as the forced one? I was originally looking into the convection heaters for the same reasons you stated but was told to go with the forced air because the convection ones heat from the top down and take a long time to heat. Plus I was afraid it would take even longer because my ceiling goes all the way up to the rafters and even though my walls are insulated the roof is not. I like the benefits of the convection but don`t want it to take all afternoon and burn through alot of propane. thanks
    My garage is tiny. 20`X16` and it is insulated all around put the ceiling could be better. Very low ceiling too. This heats up the garage A LOT faster than the forced air one I had. Having used a forced air heater for 3 years and a convection for a day there is no doubt in my mind I will never go back to forced air.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Well, I ended up getting a convection heater from Lowe`s. Let me say that this thing is WAY better than my torpedo style heater. It heats the garage SUPER fast.........
    Bob, does this heater run off a standard 20 lb tank (like a gas grill)? Would you give us the brand, model, and cost? I`m just looking for something to give me some fast heat and that sounds like it might be what I`m looking for.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Bob, does this heater run off a standard 20 lb tank (like a gas grill)? Would you give us the brand, model, and cost? I`m just looking for something to give me some fast heat and that sounds like it might be what I`m looking for.
    Sure thing:

I got this one:

DESA Reddy Heater -

and I am pretty positive it is the same as this one:

MR. HEATER - America`s Most Popular Brand of Portable Heaters

Probably same as the Home Depot brand as well.

I just use a 20 pound propane tank. The same one I use on the grill in the summer. Works great. I actually have two tanks incase one runs out in the middle of something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I`ll have to swing by a Lowes and see if they carry them in this area..... their web-site says no. If not I see that Amazon sells the Mr. Heater version for $100 with free shipping. I already have a second tank for my grill so it should be a plug n` play set-up.

I`ll pick up a CO detector while at Lowes..... or would it be cheaper to keep a canary out in the garage like the old miners used to do :chuckle:
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the Lowes website said no for me too but they had them in. Mine was $99 from Lowes and I saw the HomeDepot version for like $89.

We are getting CO detectors this week. my canary died last week when I had the heater on in the garage for some reason. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Danase, I understand that the heat comes out of the top, but does it also come out of the holes on the sides? How hot does it get and how much space is needed around it? I know the torpedo ones need atleast 6ft. if front of them so nothing catches on fire, how much space is really needed around the convection unit? My garage is some what tight, so the 6ft. need for a torpedo one was one of my issues with it, hopefully the convection one can work safely in less area. thanks again for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SR77
    Danase, I understand that the heat comes out of the top, but does it also come out of the holes on the sides? How hot does it get and how much space is needed around it? I know the torpedo ones need atleast 6ft. if front of them so nothing catches on fire, how much space is really needed around the convection unit? My garage is some what tight, so the 6ft. need for a torpedo one was one of my issues with it, hopefully the convection one can work safely in less area. thanks again for your help.

The heat actually comes from all over the heater, not just the top. The heater itself gets hot and the heat sort of radiates from it. I put it right in the corner of my garage and I had a roof mount bike rack and both walls about 6" away. I kept checking and they never got hot to the touch.

:getdown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information