Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gang,

It`s been a long while since I`ve posted on here...hope everyone is doing well!!

I want to stress that I am a dumb dumb when it comes to tinkering around with an automobiles performance or looks (i.e. adding ground effects, fog lamps etc.)

With that said, I am thinking about possibly lowering my scion a little bit, rather than adding ground effects.

My question is this: Is it better to go buy a lowering kit or easier to have a friend just cut down the springs on my suspension? I am a college student, so money is an issue right now and these plans may take a while to be put into production. I am just trying to get an idea of what my options are.

The car is a 2007 Scion tC.
    Oh dirt, why must you come between me and the one I love??

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t cut the springs, it`s really not a good way to do it. Save up and buy a kit

Post Thanks / Like
    pyro is right, buy a kit and save your old springs and any other parts you may take off. If you ever want to go back to stock height, you`ll already have the parts to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on getting springs. My friend got springs for his TC(can`t remember which springs), and it looks great. ESPECIALLY cause he had the entire aero kit. Looks fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Please don`t cut the springs. Buy the TRD springs instead - it`s the perfect drop without being too low. I suggest you get the TRD shocks/struts as well, but it can get pretty expensive that way (probably around $500-$600 that way), however it is the right way to do it. There are plenty of people rolling around on the TRD springs and stock shocks, but doing it this way can mean your shocks may blow out at any time, which would be pretty bad.

Personally, I`m not willing to do it to my car without doing it right (getting the shocks as well), so that means that no matter how clean and shiny I make my tC it`ll still look ugly because it has the ground clearance of a 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your opinions guys. It is a good idea to take care of/keep the original parts just to be on the safe side. The car is brand new and when it`s time to sell it, giving the future buyer the option to go back to factory settings could be a selling point.

Paul34 - Like I said, I don`t really know much about cars so I`d like to know why it`s a bad idea to have the springs but not the TRD struts. Does having the car lower put more pressure on the struts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea... the issue is that shocks/struts are made to move a certain amount in their normal operation. When you install lower springs, the range in which the car will move up and down in response to things like normal driving, bumps, etc is reduced, thus reducing the free range of the shocks/struts. This can lead to excess wear and premature failure for shocks which are operated in a range where they weren`t meant to stay at all the time.

I`m not a car guy either, I`m still trying to learn myself

btw, www.trdsparks.com and www.mcgeorgeparts.com are two places the Scion community (are you on www.scionlife.com? If not, come on over and join us!) uses to get OEM parts much cheaper than your local dealer (even though those two websites are dealers themselves). TRD parts are also available there... you`re looking for the TRD springs and shocks struts (if you decide you want them). Otherwise I believe the springs will run you aobut $155, which isn`t too bad at all.

here are the springs - click

shocks can also be found on the page

or you can get the "package" deal

click

If you would like to improve handling you can also get a TRD rear sway bar. I would like to do this upgrade but all my money has disappeared for detailing supplies :aww:

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with springs and matching shocks. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit spings with Bilstein sport shocks on my BMW and love the look and ride. Keep in mind you will need an alignment so figure < $100 for that.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SHICKS
    Go with springs and matching shocks. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit spings with Bilstein sport shocks on my BMW and love the look and ride. Keep in mind you will need an alignment so figure < $100 for that.

Steve

I have the same combo on my Benz and love it.

Always go with a matching spring and shock set or get coil overs. I am sure the scion has many to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like
    look @ Eibach. Good name, good support, great results :hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    Please don`t cut the springs. Buy the TRD springs instead - it`s the perfect drop without being too low.

agreed. fellow autopian member (kpagel) has a scion tc release series 2.0 in blue blitz mica (2,600 made) and dropped it with trd springs and it looks really good, and there`s no negative camber in the front or back... :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Another good site to check for Toyota/TRD parts is at Carson Toyota`s Scion Parts Store. If you`re going to lower the car might as well go for the whole set up and get sways while you`re at it. It will definitely giver your ride a sportier feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Very helpful guys, I really appreciate all this advice.

Paul - Thanks for going through all that trouble to point me in the right direction. I have been to scionlife.com a few times (not a member yet) just to check out pics of tC`s that are out there and what other people have done with their rides. I think a lowered Scion looks really cool and with the right rims, your car can totally change in just one weekend`s worth of work.

I dunno when that weekend will be because I too, am a little short in the wallet at the moment.

Nonetheless, I am excited about my options you`ve all shown me here and when I do get the cash my decisions will be easier made now that I am an informed shopper =0)

Post Thanks / Like
    I put eibachs on my 300 I think it looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on how much your car will be lowered, you "may" have to install a camber kit when you get an alignment. This will ensure that your alignment readings are within OEM specs and help your tires from premature uneven wear.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information